Bathroom 8 Watt Light installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never asked a question on here...but a bit stuck trying to install a bathroom light on the wall. I had to take the old one out, and three wires were attached to a small wire box, a red wire, a yellow and green wire, and a blue wire.

In the new lamp fitting, I have a few different options as to where I can connect the wires to. Two holes which already have two white wires going into them, but there is space for another wire. One of the existing white wires goes out to another small fitting, which has space for another wire and 2.5 written beside the connection point. Next to this, is a final connection point for a wire, which has 900 written above 07, and beside this a 1 above an 8, inside a box.

It is an 'aric 8 watt' light if that is helpful.

Basically, as I'm sure you can tell, I'm confused and would appreciate any advice. Pressure is on from my wife to get the job done.

Thanks in advance for any help,

David

Sponsored Links
Hi Dave

No one is jumping in with a reply, as your description is not precise.

Can you resend, with a photo of the "little holes with white wires"The big question will then be can you touch the fitting whilst stood in bath or shower, Is a metal fitting or is it all plastic.

Also are you the owner of a volt test meter of any kind.
You can get a test screwdriver with a little neon that lights up when you touch a live wire. For a few pounds. Or euros to you.

Mike :unsure:

Thanks a lot Mike, tried to keep it simple...but clearly failed. See if this photo is any help.

David

Sponsored Links
thats an easy one;

the neutral (black i hope, as you are in france i am not to sure) goes into the terminal block at the top of your picture (the outgoing white wire goes to one side of the lamp holder.

the other wire (red) goes to the other terminal that connects via the other white wire to the ballast, (biggish metal thing)

the earth, (green yellow) goes to the slotted screw above the terminal block on the metal work

Hi Dave,

From your pic

The white plastic thing is a connector block, with two available terminals.

The top terminal has a white wire going to the fitting switch. This would be the Live connection, in the UK.

The bottom terminal has a white wire going to the ballast. This would be the neutral connection, in the UK.

The screw terminal on the metal chassis is the Earth connection.

The green and yellow is normally the earth wire, but you must confirm that.

Blue is normally neutral, but you must confirm that.

There is something odd, with the Red and Blue wire colours. Is it an old house.

You should test which is live and at what voltage, to see what the last guy had done, if you want to be sure.

Mike
;)

Thanks a lot. We have a volt tester screwdriver so I'll use that to see which are live and which aren't.

Back