Intermittent hot water from combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just installed a thermostatic shower and noticed it runs hot for maybe 30 secs then goes cool for maybe 10 secs , then hot for 30 secs and continues on this cycle.
I hadn't noticed this before and thought the new shower was at fault but when running the kitchen hot tap the same cycle happens , boiler cuts out after 30 secs or so then re fires.
The boiler runs constantly when the heating fires in the morning but hot and cold water still occurs.
It's an Ariston Genus boiler about 12 years old.
Any ideas as to possible fault ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not just the heat exchanger, but all of the primary side of the boiler, usually by debris from the heating system.

Thanks guys
Is the fix relatively straightforward or am I looking at big cost and maybe cheaper to replace the boiler ?

Sponsored Links
The fact that your system is full of shyte will not be solved by replacing the boiler; the best solution is a good powerflush.

Been thinking about the sludge build up and can't understand why the boiler cuts out when DHW is requested .
If I turn hot tap on there must be a valve or summat that allows the water to be heated, flow through the boiler must be sensed by a switch which operates a valve or similar. If the valve or switch was defective I'm thinking this could be the cause ??
I seem to recall that some valves are operated by a rubber diaphragm.
Are the switch or valve easy to check ?

There are many possible problems with your boiler and dirt is only one of them,

As gas settings are important you really need a competent engineer to properly check it and fix whatever it requires which may well be a combination of problems.

I have this feeling that you have never had it serviced!

Tony

Don't listen to Tony, he hasn't got a clue and will try and suggest more work than what is required at rogue trader rates.

As everyone has said, a Power Flush will most likely resolve the fluctuation in hot water.

On a side note, Tony has confirmed (on a separate thread) that he is a great fan of western mvoes, which to me is a red herring that he is a part-time cowboy.

:LOL:
You are correct Tony - my boiler is operated on a reactive maintenance schedule !!
I do like to fix things but as you can tell from my questions I know very little about how a boiler works. I like to understand the fault and fix of thoings, and I'm struggling to understand the sludge bit.
I think I'll call the local heating eng out for a look at it, may even get it serviced too :oops:
Liked your comments Systematic :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back