INSTALLING EXTRA PLUG SOCKETS IN THE MASTER BEDROOM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI GUYS,

JUST NEED SOME INFO I HAVE A HOUSE IN DEVON BUILT IN THE 1930'S
AND HAVE VERY FEW PLUG SOCKETS.

TO THAT END I WOULD LIKE TO INSTALL THREE EXTRA 2 PLUG SOCKETS, ISSUE BEING THERE IS ONLY 1 SOCKET IN THE WHOLE ROOM 4X4 ROOM.

CAN THIS BE DONE BY RUNNING FROM THE ONE SOCKET ALSO CHANGING THE ONE SOCKET FOR A DOUBLE?

COST FOR A PRO ONLY ROUGH GUIDE PARTS AND LABOUR
AND JUST LABOUR??

ALSO COULD A NOVICE DO IT?

DON'T WANT TO PLASTER JUST USE TRUNKING

HELP GREATLY APPRECIEATED :D

Sponsored Links
Indeed, do not SHOUT. it's not blowing a gale in here!

It's impossible to tell. I imagine that your existing socket is on a ring final so if you want three new these sockets must be incorporated into the ring. You cannot add three sockets to you existing one as a string (like a number of floats on a fishing line_ - not allowed.

How to do this is explained in the WIKI, did you look there yet - its fun!

Here's the bit you need:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:extend_ring

Sponsored Links

Isn't that a garage ?

But seriously a lot more information is needed before any one can give any definate information. What type of cable feeds the existing socket ? How many cables come to the socket ? How old is the wiring.

It might be possible but then again it might not.

If it is possible then a NOVICE with the right information and tools might be able to do it.

thanks but that appears to be exactly what you said you cant do ?

take it from the one socket?

sorry I am a novice give me a gun any day lol.

okay, so if i go with how the wiki advised i will probably need to extend wiring from the original socket, would this be done with a junction box?? and can the single socket be swapped for a double socket? :)

Can you put up a photo of your meter and consumer unit / fusebox so we can assess what sort of age/condition your current wiring is in?

If the wiring is still the 1930s original then the answer will almost certainly be "you need rewiring"

okay, so if i go with how the wiki advised i will probably need to extend wiring from the original socket, would this be done with a junction box?? and can the single socket be swapped for a double socket? :)

If you follow the wiki then no junction box is needed. That does depend on one of the existing cables being long enough to reach one of the new sockets.

If you have to use a junction box then it must be accessible (like not buried under the laminate flooring... otherwise you'd need to use one of the approved connection methods.

gents,

on average for a 3 bedroom house how much is a full rewire?? :cry:

Costs will vary almost from County to County and by compass direction...

How Much Does A Rewire Cost?

The Judge Electrical ‘guideline price’ for the full rewire of a 3 bedroom house is £2500. The rewire takes about one week.

A one-bedroom flat will cost about £1000, a 2 bedroom house about £2000 and 5 bedroom house about £4000.

Householders should get at least 3 quotes for a rewire; the quote should include exactly what the quote includes and does not include, for instance does the price include moving furniture, laying carpets and a cleanup?

It is hard to compare prices between different jobs; it is also difficult to compare prices for the same job.

Using servicing a car as an analogy – how much is it to service a car? Why does the main dealer charge more than a local garage? The obvious points are that no 2 cars are the same and a main dealer provides, usually, a better service. Unless you are being ‘ripped off’ you get what you pay for.

Householders also need to take account of the cost of ’extras’, for instance, of new light switches, new sockets and new light fixtures. Some electricians may include the cost of ‘extras’ in the quote, some may not.

http://www.judgeelectrical.co.uk/index_files/aboutrewire.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back