What exactly is a back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What exactly is a back boiler? is it a boiler behind a gas fire and supplies radiators/hot water cylinder? Can you see them or does the fire cover them?

After reading posts on here and never having seen one I just wondered what they were/how they worked

Are they open flued boilers?

Sponsored Links
Back boiler does exactly the same as any other boiler, heating hot water cylinder and radiators. Fits into the hearth after the fireback is removed, with a gas fire on the front to hide the boiler. The new condensing versions come with an electric fire front, their predecessors cannot be used without the fire fitted. Ignition controls and thermostat are accessible by removing a small panel under the fire. Pipework was usually boxed in on the side of the chimney breast, sometimes with a removeable panel to access the pump.

All the BBU's i've come across were open flued, (not sure if a balanced flue version was available). Quite a few were fitted in HA properties in my area during late 90's due to siting constraints for an independant boiler. Some replaced earlier solid fuel boilers, (quite a few of those still in situ, hidden behind newer gas fires!)

Sponsored Links
thanks for your replies

I was going to say how do you get to turn the thermostat up/down light the pilot etc if there is a fire in front!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back