Remeha Avanta 18V

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a Remeha Avanta boiler fitted some time ago. It really never work properly and now that the weather turned really cold I know this system is not working properly.
3 different technicians from Remeha have paid a visit. each time they seem to blame something different/

The first one blamed the pump. The pump was changed by the instaler even tho the original pump was working correctly.

Second technician changed the microprocessor board.

The third technician changed the heat exchanger as suggested by installer

All three left the boiler on and all rad hot and hot water.
only touble was that when the system was switched off it never came back on. This happened everytime

I managed to get it going one by bleeding the rads.

Last time it was switched off it has never come on.
When switched on the boiler goes over a 3 min venting cycle and then goes onto stand by mode and nothing happens. there;s no heating or hot water.

The last technicia suggested the system is losing water, but there's no evidence of that anywhere.
When trying to bleed the rads little air comes out and water only trickls out.
One suggestion is that the cold water feed pipe is partially blocked as the system fills in quite slowly if drained, but even so when the system has water the boiler should function correctly.

The system was not power flushed when the boiler was installed.

The Remeha technicians seem to suggest that the boiler goes into stand by mode because there's not enough water pressure or no enough water in the system hence they siggested it could be a leak.

Is there a pressure sensor on those boilers? could it be faulty?

Has anyone got an idea what could be at fault here? I've been without heating for nearly two months now.
TIA

Sponsored Links
18V is open vent heat only, so no pressure sensor.

System should have really been flushed properly when boiler was fitted.

Have all the external controls been checked?

Is the boiler wired correctly?

I would be looking for an electrical problem from what you describe.

I will get the system power flushed as soon as I can find a reliable central heating technician.

The boiler wiring was checked the first time the Remeha technician inspected it. The pump was found not to be directly wired to the boiler. The installer corrected this.
The second Remeha technician replaced the microprocessor and reconnected all contacts. So I'm assuming wiring is correct.

The boiler must be correctly wired as all Romeha technicias managed to started it by bleeding the rads and getting water into the system. In their opinion it seems not to have enought water. One thought the system did not fill in fast enough.

The last technician bypassed all external controllers to prove there wasn't anything wrong with the boiler.
So it's not the boiler, it's not the pump, it's not the external componets wiring 'cos it's been bypassed yet the boiler won't start again if switched off.
I don't think the installer knows what's wrong with it.
What could be wrong?

firstly turn the display on in the user settings.
then check that all the user settings are as they should be for your blr.
turn on your controls so that they are calling for heat. what mode does your user control tell you that the boiler is in?
Even if it doesn't help fix it, you can really improve your chances of getting blr fixed by giving the attending engineer some solid details of what the blr is doing

Sponsored Links
firstly turn the display on in the user settings.
then check that all the user settings are as they should be for your blr.
turn on your controls so that they are calling for heat. what mode does your user control tell you that the boiler is in?
Even if it doesn't help fix it, you can really improve your chances of getting blr fixed by giving the attending engineer some solid details of what the blr is doing

The blr display has no errors. All settigns are as per factory setting.
There's a reset button that can be pressed to get blr to factory settings.
As described previously, once swicthed on it goes over a 3mins venting cycle as per user manual and then it displays just one dot which means stand by mode. It should really display two dots which means it is functioning correctly i.e. heating.
All external components are disconnected at the moment to try an isolate the problem.
After it's3 min venting cycle the boiler should start heating when switched on, but it jsut doesn't do that.

Shot in the dark here

If you say the electrics are fine the pressure is fine can only really leave a gas supply issue :confused:

You really need to get it checked out by an engineer could even be a gas mag valve

If everything else is calling for heat/hot water then not much else to stop it firing up

hey you dont want to be touching that boiler :( are you corgi redg and fully qualified in that particular area? dont forget you could be dealing with dangerous gas and pressurised water . what you need is a fully trained corgi redg gas fitter who knows the inner workings on that model.these experts know how to take the outer casing from these boilers to to inspect the inner workings. i would leave well alone unless you are corgi redg ..... psif you are ;looking out for a decent plumber look in asda ,s on the adverts section under the section COWBOY :LOL: :

. what you need is a fully trained corgi redg gas fitter who knows the inner workings on that model :

Corgi are no longer running the register for gas engineers, you should be looking for a GasSafe registered engineer
Try these http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

As somebody has stated before this is a heat only boiler and has no pressure/flow sensors fitted.
Bleeding the radiators is not going to get the boiler to operate if it is only in standby mode (1 dot), this is a wiring problem!

You need an engineer to check if there is:
240v on X6 Permanent live
240v on X2 switched live terminal 1 (when external controls are calling for heat)

You can put a link between terminal 1 & 4 (X6) to eliminate the external controls.

Pump needs to be connected into X4
1 - Neutral
2 - Live

Check the Mode Settings you have to tell the PCB to operate - P.3 nees to be set to 1.

It would be useful if you enabled the dispaly to perm on P.6 needs changing to 1, this will indicate the true operating state of the boiler using 0-9 instead of 2 dots which will give much clearer indication as to what is happening.

Bleeding the rads is not going to have any effect on this problem as the system is Open Vented nor are there any LP swiches on the "V" series Boiler ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back