DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Where to place Hot & Cold pipes in a basin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
zybbok

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:50 am Reply with quote

Hello folks.
I知 replacing the original 3 toilets, bath and mixer shower in the house.
As usual the originals were just thrown together during the building of the house about 12 years ago and I want the new installation to be a better fit and be as neat as possible.
I知 renewing the Plastic Waste and replacing the Hot & Cold copper pipe with chrome plated pipe in all of the toilets.
I知 also using the flexible tails that come with the taps.
I知 doing the small downstairs toilet first and the waste is being put in the centre of the pedestal to the basin connected to a Screwfix slimline straight through trap.
This will make it totally hidden by the basin pedestal.
Now what I知 wondering about is the placement of the Hot & Cold pipes.
The original pipes are at the back of the wall about 30mm out from the skirting board and 60mm apart.
They池e roughly centred with the basin pedestal
Is there a particular position for the Hot & Cold pipes or is the original position OK.
Thanx in advance.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
plumbnuts

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:27 am Reply with quote

Hi
Place the basin and pedistal in position and draw round the bottom of the pedistal. Once removed, you can drill the holes through the floor just to the rear of the flats at the rear. This will alow room for the wast to pass through the middle and also keep the pipes out of sight. Hope this makes sense.
Steve
 Alert Moderators
PrenticeBoyofDerry

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:28 am Reply with quote

That sounds quite normal, they are usually tucked away behind the pedestal, so out of general veiw. (aesthetic) but allow for waste connection.
What you should consider now is installing service valves on to the pipes so they can easily be shut off.
Also on cold water tails for toilet, shower, bath, basin. I fit double check valves this will stop used cold water siphoning back in to the pipes and contaminating drinking water.
It is sometimes a bit of an overkill as some fittings (Taps/shower heads) will leave it near impossible for backflow, but you never know if one day the fitting will be changed to one that does allow this.
So better the job done taking in to account any alterations at a later date.
PS I am a DIY plumber and it is not my job, but I do have minor qualification in domestic installations.
The big boys may give you better or more comprehensive advice.
 Alert Moderators
Morris40

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quote

you'll only need single check valves and only if you have the cold tank in the loft, if your system is unvented the the hot and cold will both be fed from the main and both should be at the same pressure as a PRV should have been fitted, if it is an old vented system then check valves are a good idea as belt and braces,
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: