PIR Zone not to be used (scantronic 9751)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've wired up a scantronic 9751 panel, but have decided to leave one of the zones not connected with a PIR as the room is to be decorated soon.
What I want to know is do I simply program the zone as 'not used' for now, and loop back the detection circiut wires, maybe using an electrical strip connector? Im using FSL wiring with 4k7 resistor for alarm & 2k2 for tamper.

Thanks, any help appreciated.

regards

Benny

Sponsored Links
Not used is fine.

FSL / EOL is the better method of wiring.
Well done for taking the slightly more difficult route.
Leave the zonal wiring in place but leave the power disconnected in the panel. Bit of paint/wallpaper adhesive might pop a fuse if it hits the cable.

Not used is fine.

FSL / EOL is the better method of wiring.
Well done for taking the slightly more difficult route.
Leave the zonal wiring in place but leave the power disconnected in the panel. Bit of paint/wallpaper adhesive might pop a fuse if it hits the cable.

Hi Alarm, thank you for the quick reply. Yes FSL is much more neater, as far as cable management is involved.
Sorry, im still not clear what you've said,Did you mean I don't need to loop back the circuit or fit resistors in place of the PIR for now. Do I Just simply cover the end of cable with insulating tape & program as not used? As you've advised, I'LL disconnect the power.thanks
Kind regards

Yes tape over the cable in the room, programme the zone as not used.
Actually just leave it tidy in the panel until you are ready to commission the whole system.

When the zone is "Not Used" the panel ignores the zone.

Sponsored Links
Yes tape over the cable in the room, programme the zone as not used.
Actually just leave it tidy in the panel until you are ready to commission the whole system.

When the zone is "Not Used" the panel ignores the zone.

Thanks again Alarm, your advice much appreciated.
regards, Benny

Anytime, glad to assist.
Hi Alarm, hope you're well.
I'm trying to start up the alarm system for the first time, but there seems to be a problem.
I have connected the battery only.
When I short the kick start pins, the internal sounder comes on for about 5 seconds, and the keypad also displays values. but then all goes dead. No sound from sounder & Keypad also goes dead.

I have to wait a few minutes before I can kick start the pins again, but the same thing happens as above. keypad & sounder comes on only momentarily, and does not give me a chance to enter the user code.

I've check the control panel mains fuse, its ok.
I've also addressed the Expander cards & keypads correctly, and all dectectors & external sounders are wired up correctly.
I also tested the resistance and continuity of each cable during installation.

Can you maybe give me a few pointers as to where I may have gone wrong?

Thank you
Kind regards
Benny

Have you posted this on another site?
Looks familier.

Anyway, drop all power. Restart with mains only. And all other power demanding devices removed.

Should sort it.

Have you posted this on another site?
Looks familier.

Anyway, drop all power. Restart with mains only. And all other power demanding devices removed.

Should sort it.

Hi alarm, yes I posted on TSI, got some assitance.
yes, I got the system started, but the system only came on once I disconnected the molex connector for the plug on communicator (I have wired outputs brown, orange & yellow to the trigger inputs on a menvier speech diallar). Why would this prevent initial start up?

The orange alert light is now on on the Keypad, displaying the following:
'Bell Tamper'
'DC AUX fail'
'Tamper Z2, Z11 & Z16.
Z2 is panic button, Z11 is a Honeywell FG-15T glass break sensor, and Z16 is a PIR sensor.

I'LL check out the zone tampers, & the tamper switchs on the external sounders.
I cant however understand the Aux DC fail.

How I fix the Aux Dc fail?
thanks & regards

Bell tamper is a fault on the return leg of the bell cable.
DC Aux is probably a short on the power supply to detectors.
Tampers on the zones probably poor connections or damaged cable.

Yes I saw your post on TSI.
Why I recalled your issue.
I dont use "Alarm" on there, so you might not have recognised me.

Not hiding, just use a diff moniker on other sites.
All advice is the same though.

Alarm is on several.
If some really want i`ll publish the name on TSI on here.

The above should help your situation.
Post here or on TSI, as before the advice will be the same.

Bell tamper is a fault on the return leg of the bell cable.
DC Aux is probably a short on the power supply to detectors.
Tampers on the zones probably poor connections or damaged cable.

Yes I saw your post on TSI.
Why I recalled your issue.
I dont use "Alarm" on there, so you might not have recognised me.

Not hiding, just use a diff moniker on other sites.
All advice is the same though.

Alarm is on several.
If some really want i`ll publish the name on TSI on here.

The above should help your situation.
Post here or on TSI, as before the advice will be the same.

Thanks for your reply Alarm yes, I'LL disconnect everthing, starting with keypad, and will look into the zone tampers. Will update you on how I get on. You were right, I've overloaded the panel.
I will be getting a 2 amp separate power supply to power the detectors, & the rear sounder. Will this be sufficient with a 9ah battery? will I need any other ancillaries with the PSU?

Im sorry I made you post on 2 sites, its not your fault, I was just a little impatient, thought I'll get some answers quick.I have some knowledge of alarms, but your advice is really invaluable. Thanks again, & I keep it on one site!
regards

Battery will depend on current draw. You need to use a meter on MA to determin its standby life. If you neeed the equation just ask. We like to see 12hrs standby minimum.

If using seperate PSU for sounder tie in the negative with the panel or you will have issues. The neg only.

Again glad to assist, its easier when on one thread as you say, Hate repeating myself.

Battery will depend on current draw. You need to use a meter on MA to determin its standby life. If you neeed the equation just ask. We like to see 12hrs standby minimum.

If using seperate PSU for sounder tie in the negative with the panel or you will have issues. The neg only.

Again glad to assist, its easier when on one thread as you say, Hate repeating myself.

Hi alarm, thanks for the reply. I have disconnected all power & circuit zones, and sounder connections just have keypads connected. Also sorted out the zone tampers.
now on power up i'm only getting bell tamper. Thats strange cos the external sounders wiring is disconnected. (also checked continuity on rear sounder wiring, its damaged somewhere along the line, so will have to run a new cable.)
Shall I default the panel & start a fresh? will this clear the tamper fault from memory?
thanks & regards

Why does everyone think defaulting the panel will resolve every alarm problem there is?

You need to 'loop out' the tamper return inside the control panel to clear that fault.

Why does everyone think defaulting the panel will resolve every alarm problem there is?

You need to 'loop out' the tamper return inside the control panel to clear that fault.
Hi Europlex, please excuse my inexperience, Im still learning about alarms, Im using fsl wiring so how do I go about looping out.
Do i loop a wire link between the global tamper terminals?
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back