Do I need an electician when having the en-suite upgraded?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had a guy around to do a quote for doing up the en-suite. This involves re-tiling, new toilet, replacement shower fed by a combi boiler, wash basin, new radiator and altering the associated pipework.

He informs us that we need to get an electrician in first to bring the electrics up to the latest standard including fitting a RCB to the lighting circuit and checking out the bonding. Once done the electician can issue a certificate which covers him when he does his work.

The house was built in 1990 and was electrically inspected in 2008 when we had an extension built. The question is do we need to do all this when the electrics are not being touched when the en-suite is upgraded.

Sponsored Links
If no electrical work is being done in the en suite then you do not need to change anything. Are you sure that nothing is being done, no downlights, no additional shaver point, maybe??

If electrical work IS being done then it needs to be done by a registered electrician, not the bathroom guy - unless he wants to go through the building regulations route, and that will be expensive..

and re

He informs us that we need to get an electrician in first to bring the electrics up to the latest standard including fitting a RCB to the lighting circuit and checking out the bonding. Once done the electician can issue a certificate which covers him when he does his work.

That is not how it works. If electrical work is being done then some of the installation may need to be upgraded as you have outlined. BUT the upgrade does not give an unregistered person carte blanche to subsequently do further electrical works.

Thanks for the quick reply. The only electrical work that might be needed is to replace the existing shaver point as it is discoloured. This was never discussed and if I did decide that it needed changing I would do it myself as I assume I am allowed to carry out this task.

Thanks for the quick reply. The only electrical work that might be needed is to replace the existing shaver point as it is discoloured. This was never discussed and if I did decide that it needed changing I would do it myself as I assume I am allowed to carry out this task.

Yes you can replace like for like.

I take it there is no electrics at all linked to your shower.

Sponsored Links
No the existing shower is fed from a combi boiler, with a mixer tap attched to the two pipes, which he was aware of.

The guy looked at my consumer unit and pointed out that even though the ring mains were on RCB’s the lighting circuits were not. He talked about bonding and me having problems selling the house without a certificate and that he had to cover himself if he did the job.

For background information the guy that came around was upgrading the bathroom of a neighbour who happens to be an electrician. He was saying that they often work together which was why he was doing their refurbishment. I wonder if he was touting for business for the electrician although I have to say he seemed genuine.

The guy looked at my consumer unit and pointed out that even though the ring mains were on RCB’s the lighting circuits were not.

There are millions of houses like that in the UK.
The NEW regs require lighting to be on RCDs but the regulations are not retrospective.

He talked about bonding and me having problems selling the house without a certificate and that he had to cover himself if he did the job.

That is rubbish. It would mean that every house that came up for sale would need a new consumer unit and/or rewiring before it was sold. Not the case.

If he is doing no electrical work then he does not need to "cover" himself. You do not need any upgrades to your installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back