Moving Electricity meter...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Can anybody help with a query regarding moving an electricity meter to a new location approximately 3 meters from the supply fuses onto the opposite wall?

I am doing some work in a bedroom and wish to extend the width of a doorway, the meter and consumer unit will have to be moved in order to carry out this work. The service cable does not need to be moved and currently comes up from under the floor and is clipped onto the wall. I have already mounted a new consumer unit on the opposite wall and I intend to have the meter moved adjacent to it and have an isolator switch fitted for any future work that might be required. The supply fuses are approx 2M from the ground and the new consumer unit is mounted directly opposite at the same height. I contacted my electricity supplier who put me in touch with SP ENERGY NETWORKS who will carry out the work. I have already run 25mm PVC tails in trunking along the wall, from the service fuses to the new location and understand that as the extension is longer than 3 meters another form of protection will need to be mounted (presumably another fuse). With everything in place I thought the job would take 5 minutes for the company

The metering tech who came out to survey the job did not suggest at the time there would be a problem with this however when calling to give me the quote for the job, he insisted that he would have to run a new cable from my supply fuse back down the wall... under the floor... then up the opposite wall and into the new cut out. I Questioned the reasoning for this as it will require lifting floor boards and will be less pleasing on the eye, plus I suspect the quote will be higher taking into account the price of his cable and time to do the work. He says the cable used will not be a mechanically protected one.

I can't find much information on the internet with regards to metering regulations so im not in a position to argue at the moment, I was simply told that the rules are different because the meter is moving onto a different wall. The cable route that is being suggested to me is longer by about 2M and part of this PVC cable will be out of sight under the floor so I cant understand how this is considered safer. If anybody can enlighten me that would be very much appreciated!! Or if anybody can tell me where to find the regs that would be great cause im sure its separate from the 17th edition

Thanks in advance

Grant

Sponsored Links
The DNO generally operate to their own rules with regard to meter placement and service head - so you will have to be guided by what they say. They charge between £150/250 in some areas to fit a Main Earthing Terminal block connection to the PME supply - so it will be interesting to see what they are going to charge you - don't be too shocked.

Edit - Scotland - you might have to apply for a building warrant for the work you are doing.

See wiki: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:building_warrants:required

Without seeming to be blunt, the problem is: its their cable, and they can do whatever they want to do!

I'm struggling to understand you post tho with regards to positions etc, could you do a drawing or pics?

A (generally concentric) cable under the floor is a much better solution to tails in trunking, however you look at it.

It may be connected to limitations in the distance between the main fuse, the meter and the CU.
Certainly we would insist that the main fuse be moved

Sponsored Links
Because of the risk of abstraction of supply, the elec co will demand that the meter be mounted as close to the main fuse as possible.

In some areas they are using main fuses that couple directly to the meter supply terminals with no exposed tails.

I've seen this, and also the use of concentric tails between the head and the meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back