Riello oil boiler HELP -wont start after service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all, this is my first post, but vist the site regualrly.

I have a Grant Euroflame 70/90 oil boiler. Fitted in 1998.

I went to lockout yesterday and wouldn't restart, so today I gave it a service.

I have put a new nozzle on - .76/60 EH as the manual said. Also cleaned all the soot of and cleaned the electrodes and photocell.

However, it still wont start and goes to lockout.

The motor starts and sucks in the air, Then the capacitor buzzes - I have looked and I am getting a spark, but the nozzle is dry, and then lockout.

I took the oil pump cover off and the filter was dirty. Cleaned and replaced. Tried again, no joy.

Took of the filter again and lots of clean oil present and poured out.

The solenoid works as the needle valve vibrates.

I did notice when removing the old nozzle that there was a bit of sediment in the housing.

I'm at a loss. Has the pump packed up???

Many thanks.

Jonathan.

Sponsored Links
Hi Jonathan.

If there is no oil pressure it is likely that the drive pin has sheared in side the oil pump body, you can check this by removing the pump and turning the spindle by hand, if there is no resistance then that will be the problem.
Failing that the drive coupler that joins the pump spindle to the motor spindle is slipping.

spraggo.

Thanks Spraggo.

I guess by a process of elimination I was hankering towards a pump problem. I'm fine taking cars to bits but a novice with boilers. Thanks for the advice.

I'll take the pump off and have a look inside.

Sponsored Links
Well, I dont have a pressure guage so can't say. All I can say is that there is no oil spraying from the nozzle.

Well, I dont have a pressure guage so can't say. All I can say is that there is no oil spraying from the nozzle.

Just a thought Elvi, I take it that you bled/primed the pump after removing the filter etc????

spraggo

Just a thought Elvi, I take it that you bled/primed the pump after removing the filter etc????

spraggo

No. How do I do that? Do I loosen the small hex bleed screw.

I didnt run out of oil, so assumed no air bubbles.

Is that with the boiler on and the motor turning, or off?

With the boilere off, if the oil tank is higher than the boiler or on if the tank is below the boiler. But with the boiler on, be prepared for oil spurting out at high pressure.

spraggo

Right. I know the large top bolt (slotted) is the pressure adjuster. The bottom one is where you plu the pressure guage.

The small hex screw on the right is the one I undid. Nothing came out with the boiler off.

Is this the right screw?

oil.jpg

:LOL: :LOL:
The small hex head screw is one of the pump fixing screws.

Loosen the pressure guage screw to vent pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back