dodgy builder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i had a builder do some work in my bathroom & cloakroom, he wouldnt give me a job quote so he charged me a day rate of £100 + cost of materials. i asked him if he could tell me how long the job would take he said he might be able to get it done in 5 days i said that was good as that was all i could afford. well he had his 5 days & didnt finish the job, he has left me with no door on the bathroom a toilet that is not screwed down a half finished bathroom, & a cloakroom with compound filler on the wall instead of plaster. i still owe him £200 & he has my door keys which he wont return until he gets paid, but im really not happy with his work & how long it took him to get so little done in the time.

Sponsored Links
Change your door locks as soon as possible and report him to trading standards if your unhappy with the standard of the work done. ;) ;)

And when you ask someone to change the door locks, get a bloody quote first.

Tell the builder that the rest of his money is being used to pay another builder to finish his work, and for the lock change.

Sponsored Links
"might be able to get it done in 5 days" is no guarantee, and we only have you view as the quality of his work.You may get a more considered opinion with a better description and/or photo's.

"he wouldn't give me a job quote" that is when you should have got rid of him.
you gave him your keys :eek: if he is a bad sort of person he will have copied them.

change the door locks and right off the £300.00 you have paid him.

i had a ***** do some work in my bathroom & cloakroom, he wouldnt give me a job quote so he charged me a day rate of £100 + cost of materials. i asked him if he could tell me how long the job would take he said he might be able to get it done in 5 days i said that was good as that was all i could afford. well he had his 5 days & didnt finish the job, he has left me with no door on the bathroom a toilet that is not screwed down a half finished bathroom, & a cloakroom with compound filler on the wall instead of plaster. i still owe him £200 & he has my door keys which he wont return until he gets paid, but im really not happy with his work & how long it took him to get so little done in the time.
***** = ***** . another £300 that will never have tax paid on it ( of course the OP paid tax - it`s their hard earned money :cry: ) Another expensive lesson learned - no wonder the country is in a state :rolleyes: No different to Lord :?: of Ealing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back