Bathroom connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm about to add some mains to power (from a spur off the lighting circuit) for an above mirror light (Low voltage). I was going to drop the transformer into the ceiling void, however I now I now find the mirror will arrive some weeks after I need to plaster and tile. I’m thinking now of channelling the mains cable into the wall and then connecting the transformer to this at a later date. What is the best (legal :cool: ) way to do this? I’m thinking of putting an electrical mounting box with a closed facia and make the connection internally when the mirror unit arrives.

Thanks in advance.

ChrisC.

Sponsored Links
bathjobby said:
Have you considered part P ?

Yep, my sparky is on holiday in Spain at the moment :( he will be inspecting and signing it off. However the room will be plastered before he gets back, which was not in the plan. Hence the question here, I don't plan to plaster and then rip it all up again. So any more helpful advice would be appreciated.

can you not put cable in now, then put transformer in the ceiling void from above

Sponsored Links
andrew2022 said:
can you not put cable in now, then put transformer in the ceiling void from above

Sadly not. :( the sparky is providing the transformer and lights. The plasterer was due to come after the electrician, however he has now had do it earlier. So I’m stuck with having to add the mains and get the electrician to connect up to that.

pilgrim1 said:
bathjobby said:

Yep, my sparky is on holiday in Spain at the moment :( he will be inspecting and signing it off.
Not in terms of certifying compliance with the building regulations, as he's not done the work.

This may not bother you, but I always feel that breaking the law should be an informed decision, not a blunder brought about by ignorance...

ban-all-sheds said:
pilgrim1 said:
bathjobby said:

Yep, my sparky is on holiday in Spain at the moment :( he will be inspecting and signing it off.
Not in terms of certifying compliance with the building regulations, as he's not done the work.

This may not bother you, but I always feel that breaking the law should be an informed decision, not a blunder brought about by ignorance...

Can I ask what on earth (no pun intended) does this answer have to do with my question? Did you even read my question? Simple as this this. I need to get out of a scrape. Maybe it's no hasstle to you that I'll spend a fortune on plastering my walls to rip them all up again to lay one cable. It's not rocket science taking a 3 core cable from a junction box, 3 feet down a wall (assuming the cable supports the appropriate Ampage of course) A monkey with the right cable some sense of colour and a screwdriver is able to do so. As it happens what I was asking is simply what is the best way to terminate it, so my electrician can make a further connection at a later date? I don't need a team of lawyers to watch me install it. I need someone who thinks, yep I've had the same problem, do this, it will be fine and the electrician won't have a heart attack when he returns and rip up all my plaster and do it again. Having not encountered this problem before I assumed someone here would help. Wrong. As for the electrician not signing it of, he will simply meter it out and say...my god man! You've wired three coloured wires from three identically coloured wires in a junction box correctly! And without a team of inspectors! How is it possible? And you merely a electronics engineer.

Anyway, I thank eveyone for all the legal advice. I go to a legal site now and see if they know anything about household electrics.

CC

he was tryin to say that your spark can only sign of work that was done by him, and him only. he cant sign off your work. only BC can sign off your work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back