Chimney Breast/Stack Removal Advice/Help needed.. thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would really appreciate any advice anyone could give as to whether the removal of my chimney breast/stack is possible, before instructing a structural engineer. My house was built circa 1700 and is grade II listed. I therefore cannot alter the exterior of the building (even though you cannot see the chimney's protrusion from the ground due to the house being terraced and 3 stories high), so would need to leave the exterior chimney unchanged. All the walls are daub and wattle, so i assume this means I cannot use gallows brackets ? All the floors are timber construction too. I've uploaded some pictures to clarify the situation. Thanks for your help. Sorry, I put descriptions in the 'album' and thought they would show. Is this better? thanks

View media item 30614 These are the floor plans of the house. The chimney is in red.

View media item 30615 This is the chimney stack as seen in the 2nd floor bedroom.

View media item 30616 Inside the chimney stack.

View media item 30617 Inside the chimney stack.

View media item 30619 This is the third floor. The chimney stack goes behind the wall (behind the black beam) & up through the roof.

View media item 30621 This is the 2nd floor bedroom again - just wanted to show the wooden supporting beam here (black thing to the left). What would this be for ? thanks

View media item 30622 This is the ground floor kitchen. The chimney breast is behind the tiling and cooker.

Sponsored Links
You could make your post more user friendly by placing the images vertically, rather than horizontally.
Some labels or short descriptions on the images also would help.
A simple edit will do the job.

Hi

You will need to speak to your local planning dept. As a grade II listed building they may not allow you to demolish the chimney breast. You should have been made aware of this when you purchased the house.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Hi

You will need to speak to your local planning dept. As a grade II listed building they may not allow you to demolish the chimney breast. You should have been made aware of this when you purchased the house.

Regards

Hi, sorry should've said, have already spoken to the council and they are fine with it. In the process of filling out my planning application, but trying to figure out exactly how it would be done without first consulting a structural engineer. I would like to remove it to the floor space it is taking up in my house.

Couple of steel beams in the roof space would probably do it.. but may get into problems if your exterior walls are poor quality.. might want to ask neighbours if they have done anything and if so what..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back