Open vented system boiler to combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,

I'm changing over my central heating system soon to a combi boiler. I am gas safe registered so running the gas isn't an issue.
I want to also modify the flow, return, hot and cold myself and would really appreciate some advice.
Could someone please give me a quick run down of what pipes should be capped off and what should be looped with regards to the hot water cylinder, cold water storage and f&e tank?

Any help would be excellent.

Sponsored Links
..do away with F&E tank cap the mains feeding it and you can do what you like with the feed from the tank. loop the mains feeding the storage tank into the cold feed coming from it, I'm assuming it does your bathroom if its not mains already.
you could take the flow and return from the cylinder and re route them to the combi. or simply cap them under the floor if the boiler isnt going in that room (the heating system will circulate through the existing rads) or you could loop them. mind do away with any 2port/3port valves and the pump.
keep in mind with the boilers location that you will need to think about the closest way to take the condensing pipe to a drain.

I hope this makes sense mate. good luck

Dave, don't take this the wrong way but maybe you need a little more training than you have, as it a pretty basic question you're asking.

Sponsored Links
Yeah OK it's basic but it's not like much can go wrong - Dave just gets a bit wet or his heating doesn't work, and he learns the hard way!

If you leave bits of mains pipes in the loft don't forget they still need insulating, I've seen them freeze and cause a flood when all the insulation was ripped off.

To clarify about the cylinder flow and return pipes - you don't want to just connect the flow to the return, because that would be like a short-circuit on your heating.
ALso, you don't want any length of "dead leg" just capped off, with water in it, be it mains, or heating.
If in doubt, draw it all on paper.

A "not having a pop" question I have is how can you be gas safe registered and not know how to do this?

Get yourself registered in the Combustion Chamber forum for some detailed advise (that'll annoy the sparkies :LOL:).

Draw youself a diagram of the currant system pipe work ............youl soon work it out from there ;)

Dont forget to cut out the tripple foo foo valve mind :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back