Electric Garage Door Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Dont know if this should be here or perhaps in applicances.

I recently moved into my house and it has a electric garage door from wickes but the model number is not on the box

It has been working for weeks but yesterday it closes right down but then opens again.

What should I do? I read that you can adjust them but i don tknow where to start or where i can find an online manual

Sponsored Links
the first thing i would do is sweep the ground look for anything loose on the door and runners
then take a picture off the ground the runners and the door mechanism

These devices use 'limit switches' to control their movement - for example, once the door has reached its closed travel, a switch turns the motor off. The door then waits for the next command to open, starts to move until the next limit switch closes when the door has reached its open proximity.
If one of these switches is faulty, the door can keep cycling so I guess your fault lies in these areas - either there is a faulty switch, or the switch tripping mechanism has moved or fallen off, as per the post above.
John :) (Who has fitted a grand total of one of these) :confused:

Hi All
I have looked and nothing is in the way but i have noticed that if i give it a little push when its just about closed it stays shut.

I have attached the pics as requested.

IMG00296-20110205-1004.jpg

IMG00297-20110205-1004.jpg

IMG00298-20110205-1005.jpg

Fingers crossed.
Anyone know where i can download the manual or what settings i should adjust?

Sponsored Links
look at the end off travel on the runners for a bump stop/button or on the top off the door for the bump stop push button

in general where you have wires that dont seem to go anywhere other than to the end or edge may be leading to the stop sensor

Garage doors don't always use physical limit switches.

I can't tell by your pics, but my guess is that you wont find any sensors of any kind. It's done via the unit itself.

If that is the case, you need to establish that when the door closes does it try to continue before reversing...????

You'll probably find you not only have the limit adjustment 'pots' on the control panel (the one's in the pic) but also Force adjustment pots.

The way it works is...........

The force of the door would be set for about 150N (15Kg) upon installation.
If the unit is out of calibration, it may well be that the 'closed' door continues to try to close, so the force would exceed the set amount and reverse. (It's a safety feature, incase anyone is trapped).

You may also find that the door closing mechanism is sticking, again exceeding the force limit, which would also cause the motor to reverse. To test this- Dis-engage and open and close door manually to check for binding.

The best thing to start with IMO is to reduce the 'down' limit by the pot you can see on the control panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back