Installing a new 'Inefficient' boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Experts,

I have a very nice reliable Merlin oil fired boiler in my house, which behaves perfectly.

I am adding to the house a building, with a spa pool, for health reasons, and the boilerman says that my current boiler will not have sufficient capacity to run this.

I intend to add another, small boiler, purely for the extra building (there are sound reasons for this, rather than installing one bigger boiler).

I have repeated, expensive, experience of the non-reliability of condensing boilers, and wish to avoid installing one - an ordinary non-condensing will do me fine.

I have seen the type I want, but the installer is wary of installing such a boiler as it will not meet the efficiency requirements for a house.

2 questions-

1. How do firms sell such boilers, if they can't be installed?
2. Any solutions gratefully received.

Many thanks in anticipation,

CJ

Sponsored Links
Experts,

I have repeated, expensive, experience of the non-reliability of condensing boilers, and wish to avoid installing one - an ordinary non-condensing will do me fine.

Many thanks in anticipation,

CJ

You are clearly an expert on boilers ( or think so! ) so there is no useful advice anyone on here will be able to give you.

Are you sure that your experience is not just of poor quality installation ( or your own DIY )?

Reliability of boilers is mostly related to the quality of the installation!

Tony

Have the same argument over "microbore", it wont work properly etc etc, yea, well only if it's incorrectly installed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all that.

Still have a question remaining.

How does one get a fully-qualified, expert, plumber to install a non-condensing boiler?

What are the circumstances, Tibbot?

Thanks for the courteous response,

CJ

Your installer will carry out a survey of suitable locations and if one can't be found (according to regulation guidelines) to accommodate a condensing model then a standard one can be fitted. On your new system this may be much harder to achieve than with an existing boiler change as you'll have more siting choices. Any new build properties cannot be exempted.

Thanks for taking the time, Tibbot.

Much appreciated.

CJ

You wont get an exemption from installing a condensing boiler, anyone who does it will prob be a cowboy taking shortcuts. There's nothing wrong with condensing boilers, if you buy a decent one and get it properly installed. Are you absolutely certain the existing one wont be up to the job? have you calcuated the heat requirements? has anyone?

On an oil boiler change you'll find quite a few situations where exemption points are easily exceeded, allowing the above board, non-cowboy installation of a standard model.

Unfortunately for the OP it isn't a boiler change.

It seems most unlikely that the current boiler cannot heat up the pool water.

This can be done overnight when not required for heating the house.

Technically if it was NOT part of the house then it would not be residential and a condensing boiler is not required.

Nevertheless, as a well chosen model of condensing boiler, properly installed is very reliable and anyone not wanting one would have more money that sense.

Tony

That is all so true - especially when heating a pool, which is a low temperature load, and therefore ideal for a condensing boiler.

It is very disappointing to see people posting stuff on here knocking modern high quality high efficiency equipment.

Oil fired condensers seem pretty reliable , Grant boilers from what I have seen on here seem the make to go for ( stay away from Worc oil condensers )

Done a couple of swimming pools in schools 2 X 24 kw domestic boilers brings the temp up & 1 generally ( most of the time ) maintains it !

As long as the additional boiler only heats the pool and NOT Hot Water or Heating then it is outside of the scope of Part L Blg regs and a Standard Efficiency boiler can be fitted however even just one radiator connected to it would make it a domestic heating appliance ;)

Do I have to have a condensing boiler?

No. You should have a condensing boiler fitted if it is reasonable to do so, but the law recognises that non-condensing boilers are acceptable if it would be too difficult to install a condensing boiler in your home. Your installer will tell you whether your circumstances are too difficult.

How will installers decide whether my circumstances are too difficult?

They will use the assessment procedure given in the Building Regulations Approved Document L1, which you can see in libraries or on our website (www.odpm.gov.uk).

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_PTL_GASHEATADVICE.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back