Remove Towel Radiator Element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a towel rad in my kitchen and it has an electric heating element fitted (the rad is also fed by ch).

I want to get rid of the element but then the rad valve/pipe would need to be moved (new hole through wall etc - lot of mess) because its offset to the inside of the rad inlet both vertically and horizontally by the element T-piece.

Do you know of an neat and easy way to get the normal valve connected to the rad inlet when the T-piece is gone? Are there any off-the-shelf fittings to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sorry no, I'm not that hi-tec yet.

I suspect theres no easy solution or by now someone would have said "You need one of these". Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and move the pipe.

Thanks anyway KP.

Grunt said:
I suspect theres no easy solution or by now someone would have said "You need one of these"
If you cant post a pic then how about giving us the make and model of it, or better still finding a website with it on.
Why do you want to get rid of the element?
If its how I can picture it then it may be possible to remove it and put a threaded plug or manufacturers blanking piece in its place. I dont come across many of these but there might be people on here who are familiar with what you have. No one can help you if you dont provide the right information

Sponsored Links
All the towel rails I have fitted, were supplied with a tee piece incorporating the element with the rad valve then fitted at 90 degree.
Just remove the tee and fit normal inline straight valve or angled if you prefer.

HAve fitted loads. The tee is always separate from the element. Just remove the element. THAT may not be possible without removing the rad from the wall, unless you can slide a bit out and bend/cut the thing. Afterwards you an just screw a 3/4" bung into the hole where the element was.

It would be asier to just cut the wire off at the head of the heater - the resistance to water flow wouldn't normally be significant.

You could remove the heater, cut its element and wire off, and screw the head back in!

Thanks for all your replies.

The rad is a 600w x 974h (570 between center of connections) Hydroline - Harmony, bought from B&Q three or four years ago.

Removing the element because hardly seem to use it and it weeps very slightly where the tee connects to the rad. Difficult to tighten it up fully whilst keeping the ch entry branch of the tee parallel to the wall.

You've made some useful suggestions so I'll think them through and should be able to avoid wall drilling etc.

Cheers all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back