wiring up 2 lights and 2 switches??

ajc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:oops: I have taken out the ceiling rose, when fitting a new light, I didn't realise you had to mark up which wire went where and now keep blowing a fuse when I am trying to reconnect. I have 5 grey sets of cables, these connect to 2 switches a kitchen light and living room light. I have seperated them into 2 switches, live and the 2 other sets. I have been told the reason why it may be blowing is because of a black wire that becomes a red. Can anyone please help me despretly get this sorted. I am connecting them terminal blocks.

Sponsored Links
The tricky bit is that a cable goes off to a switch. Usually power is taken to the switch on the red, but comes back to go to the lamp on the black. So this black is really a switched live and must not be mixed up with neutrals. Good plan to mark the return blacks with red tape or sleeving.

Then you might have one or more cables taking unswitched power to different places. And as you say, one bringing it it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back