Replacing bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any advice. I've searched previous threads but haven't found anything that matches my query.

My girlfriend's bathroom extractor fan stopped working a while ago so she has bought a new one. I'm ok with most D.I.Y. jobs although cautious with electrical problems but as it could be a relatively straight forward replacement I would appreciate some advice.

The new fan is a Manrose VXF100S which appears to have just two black wires to connect to.

The old fan has black, brown, blue (and earth which appears to be not connected). Two of the original wires (brown & blue) have been marked as live previously. The three wires go to a plastic connector block but only two wires then come out of the other side. (i.e. - the brown doesn't have a wire coming out the other side after the connector block).

Is it a straight replacement using the existing 3 wires somehow or is there more to it ?

I will probably get some brownie points if I can sort it so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not sure about the over-run, I will have to ask her. I've just been thinking about it some more and found another similar thread. It sounds like it just needs a live and neutral and it doesn't matter which connector they go to ? I will look for a L and N next to the terminals.

If that is the case I assume its the switched live I needs to use but how do I identify which is the switched live and which is permanent live. Also, what should I do with the spare live that is left un-connected ?.....put som insulating tape around end ?

Well, I've looked at the new terminals and no sign of a "L" or "N" as they are just the plastic connector blocks that b & q etc sell.

The existing fan is wired to the shower and apparently didn't run on after switching off.

Sponsored Links
Well, I've looked at the new terminals and no sign of a "L" or "N" as they are just the plastic connector blocks that b & q etc sell.

The existing fan is wired to the shower and apparently didn't run on after switching off.

If you mean that the existing fan is wired to the electric shower then that is not allowed :eek:

Most extractor fans are wired via the lighting circuit either on their own switch or via the bathroom light switch.

What do the instructions say?

I had a feeling someone was going to say that. It's an old house and I believe the fan was in when she bought it 5 years ago.

I need to read the instructions again after you guys have clued me up a bit because if i'm not confident it's a straight forward replacement it will be getting left to someone else.

If you mean that the existing fan is wired to the electric shower then that is not allowed
Not necessarily so.

It might be in parallel with a shower pump, in which case what would be wrong?

Or it might be off an instant shower but still done properly.

If you mean that the existing fan is wired to the electric shower then that is not allowed
Not necessarily so.

It might be in parallel with a shower pump, in which case what would be wrong?
Nothing wrong in that case - but unlikely.

Or it might be off an instant shower but still done properly.
You could be right but I will take bets that you are not ;)

Could you find the instructions? I've looked online but can't find that model.

I just want to check you haven't bought an ELV 12v model.

Is this it?
MAN_xf100s_new.jpg

XF100S Manrose XF100S XF100 Series Standard Axial Wall/Ceiling Fan 100mm/4" 230V £19.50
ex. VAT

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any advice. I've searched previous threads but haven't found anything that matches my query.

My girlfriend's bathroom extractor fan stopped working a while ago so she has bought a new one. I'm ok with most D.I.Y. jobs although cautious with electrical problems but as it could be a relatively straight forward replacement I would appreciate some advice.

The new fan is a Manrose VXF100S which appears to have just two black wires to connect to.

The old fan has black, brown, blue (and earth which appears to be not connected). Two of the original wires (brown & blue) have been marked as live previously. The three wires go to a plastic connector block but only two wires then come out of the other side. (i.e. - the brown doesn't have a wire coming out the other side after the connector block).

Is it a straight replacement using the existing 3 wires somehow or is there more to it ?

I will probably get some brownie points if I can sort it so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Requires no earth (double insulated as most are) Sounds as if your previous fan was fitted with a run-on but was either wired not to or wired incorrectly.

Is this it?
MAN_xf100s_new.jpg

XF100S Manrose XF100S XF100 Series Standard Axial Wall/Ceiling Fan 100mm/4" 230V £19.50
ex. VAT

Not exactly the same as that. Looks very similar but with slightly different front grille. Not even sure where she bought it from.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back