hole in the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 4" hole in the brick wall for a 4" extracter fan. We want to put a 6" extracter fan, how do we make the existing hole 4" into 6" (bigger neatly). Please suggest thanks :D

Sponsored Links
Wedge a block of wood in the hole and use 6" core drill? :idea:

Mark the new circle, and drill lots of small holes all the way around, then knock it out with a small cold chisel?

It doesn't have to be mega-neat, but if you want it perfect then you could try the wood & core drill idea, but I'm not sure about that - as you drill through, of any of the existing brickwork falls away, and the piece of wood comes loose then it will all go horribly wrong.

Safest way would be to properly fill in the old hole and drill a new one nearby.

Sponsored Links
Kev, what does the mdf do? Can't he just use the core drill without the MDF?

the idea of the mdf is you cant use the pilot rod so it keeps the core cutter in the right place

try opening up a hole without a pilot it's

interesting :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

OK, Sounds good. What are you doing coming up with good ideas this time of day. It's not midnight yet. ;)

What you forgot to mention Kev is that the mdf should be attached to the opposite side from that which you are drilling from otherwise as soon as he had drilled the core drill through the mdf he'd be back to square one ;)

you cut the hole in the mdf
you screw the mdf to the wall over the existing hole
you place the core drill in the hole in said mdf
you start the drill and produce a nice clean hole
without the core cutter bouncing about all over the shop

if i didnt know better kendor i would swear your trying to wind me up
:LOL: ;)

The mdf wants to be on the same side you are drilling from to guide the core bit. You can use the same technique with a hole cutter, just fix a piece of mdf over the hole which is too small the drill through both at the same time.

ban-all-sheds said:
Mark the new circle, and drill lots of small holes all the way around, then knock it out with a small cold chisel?

I agree with that.

edited to correct quote

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back