New Central Heating (Plastic vs. Copper & the Ideal Logi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I'm in a 3 bed terraced and need to replace my boiler and change the radiators. I have 3 radiators downstairs (living room, dining room, and hallway) and 4 upstairs (3 bedrooms and towel rail in the bathroom). I've been reccomended a plumber who has quoted me £3,100 to replace the whole system (all new pipes and boiler - an Ideal Logic+ - ultraslim so it can fit into a kitchen wall unit). Wondered if you guys might be able to help me out with a couple of questions I had...

Because I want to try and put the boiler in the wall unit (300mm) I am obviously limited with the choice of boiler. Has anyone had any experiences, good or bad, with the Ideal Logic+?

The plumber wants to use plastic pipes. I've read good things and bad things about plastic pipes. Any views?

He isn't going to fit the radiators. He is just going to run the pipe into the middle of the room, cap it off, and I will fit the radiators when the rooms are decorated. I suspect this is to keep the price of his quote down. He said it is very simple to fit the radiators because the fittings for the plastic pipe are very easy to deal with. Is this right?

Any help / views are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
plastic is fine if fitted CORRECTLY, nearly all new builds are in plastic, as for the logic, ideal let us all down with their last boiler and we havent forgot, local merchants have shifted a lot to be fair with only a few problems, but you pay your money you make your choice, for not much more you could get a Viessmann, atag, intergas, vaillant etc all better options, would only be £300-500 tops on top. the choice is yours

Thanks Eaton.

I know I risk sounding stupid, but we've seen rats before and I'm worried they may go for plastic pipes under the floorboards. Do you think this is a risk?

I've heard that Ideal's previous model was a disaster. The problem is the depth (as it is going in a kitchen wall cabinet). Being honest, I'd much rather pay the extra and get one of the better brands, but from what I can see, the only manufacturers that make a combi with a depth of 300mm or less are Ideal (the Logic+) or Glow Worm (the Flexicom). Do you know of any others? Would Glow Worm be a safer bet?

Also, I know it's difficult to guess, but does the price sound about right to you?

As already said most new builds have plastic pipe and pretty much all of it is NOT installed correctly, almost every time I visit a house with water coming through the ceiling it's split plastic pipe or plastic fittings fallen off. From the sound of it your installer wants to run the pipes under the floor without taking it up because it's easier than copper but it won't be installed right if that's the case.

For plastic pipe it needs the inserts fitted and the floor will still have to come up to ensure it's clipped. It needs more clips than copper.

Previous ideals were crap, jury still out on the logic for many people.

Sponsored Links
I have a Viessmann 100 compact, very good quality. it's very small but still won't quite fit in a 300mm wall cabinet. When I get round to it I'll make an 18mm ply cabinet of the corrrect depth and put the ordinary kitchen doors on it. I'm not much good at woodwork but kitchen cabinets are very simple and easy to make.

here's one I did earlier...
View media item 4231
IMO getting a good quality, reliable, long-lasting boiler is more important than getting a thin one. You're investing £££thousands and the quality varies hugely..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back