AT WHAT POINT SHOULD YOU....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

At what point should you tile your bathroom when fitting a new suite?

It is a total rip out of old suite, fitting of a new suite including fake stud wall for concealed shower and shower valve.

I want to tile from floor to ceiling.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Tile when the room its stripped, making allowances for the tile thickness with sanitary ware; fitting service valves to all the H/C supplies makes things easy. I tile walls first then floors, reduces the risk of dropping something on newly laid floor tiles or getting addy/grout on them but some will swear doing it the other way around is best. Of course you have to decide if you want the wall & floor tile grout lines to match up which complicates things no end! For the fake stud walls use waterproof tile backer boards inside the shower & Moisture Resistant plasterboard elsewhere. I would not advise PB inside the shower unless you tank or it wont last; with concealed water pipes & valves inside, the back will still be vulnerable so PB a non starter IMO. If your using large format tiles, you need to consider the tile weight, PB may not be strong enough. If you’re tiling floors, special attention to the floor structure & material is necessary to avoid tile failure.

Use quality trade tiling products suitable for your tiles & tile base, do not use cheapo DIY shed crap. Flexible power addy for the floor & if the wall tiles are larger than around 200 x 200mm on the walls as well; plaster or plasterboard must be acrylic primed to avoid reaction between the cement in the addy & gypsum in the plaster.

Read the tiling sticky & Tiling Forum archives to avoid making potentially disastrous mistakes.

Many thanks for this - We are obviosuly going to have to fit the false stud wall before tiling - Is it not possible to "loosely" fit the new bath then tile around this or would you always recommend tiling behind hit?

Many thanks for this - We are obviosuly going to have to fit the false stud wall before tiling - Is it not possible to "loosely" fit the new bath then tile around this or would you always recommend tiling behind hit?

yes its possible to loosely fit the bath before tiling, but its much better, neater and a safer fix if the walls are tiled first then the bath fixed in place.

Why would you want to tile around the bath for the sake of 2mtrs of extra tiles?

Sponsored Links
Thanks jct

It's more to do with when I have the correct tradesmen to do the right work and not being without my bathroom for a number of weeks - I also don't want a bodged job so I'm just taking advice at the moment as to how I can plan things properly and what jobs I can get away with doing without problems occurring in the future.

I was mainly referring to the w/c & basin etc, baths are quiet unwieldy to be shifting/storing elsewhere so yes you can fit the bath & tile down to it; in fact it tends to be mainly what I do but make sure you protect it well or it’ll end in tears. :cry:

Thanks jct

It's more to do with when I have the correct tradesmen to do the right work and not being without my bathroom for a number of weeks - I also don't want a bodged job so I'm just taking advice at the moment as to how I can plan things properly and what jobs I can get away with doing without problems occurring in the future.

why not get a tradesman in who can do both for you, tile and fit the suite, that would be the painkiller for your headache, probably be cheaper than a tiler and plumber combined to ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back