DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

VW POLO 2003 1.2 Rear Windscreen wiper not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Car Repairs / Maintenance
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
su966

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote

My car is POLO 2003. 1.2 Petrol engine. Rear Windows Screen wiper not working. Initially spray stopped working. Now wiper does not move at all.
Any help will be highly appreciated.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Burnerman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote

There's a very good chance that the spindle, which carries the wiper arm, has seized into the motor casing due to weather ingress.
If this is the case, the motor has to be removed from the tailgate and either replaced or repaired.
Its a good idea to check for a voltage at the motor though, before progressing much further. The motor is visible when the tailgate trim is removed.
John icon_smile.gif
 Alert Moderators
su966

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote

Any idea how to remove the tailgate trim?
 Alert Moderators
gregers

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote

Burnerman wrote:
There's a very good chance that the spindle, which carries the wiper arm, has seized into the motor casing due to weather ingress.
If this is the case, the motor has to be removed from the tailgate and either replaced or repaired.
Its a good idea to check for a voltage at the motor though, before progressing much further. The motor is visible when the tailgate trim is removed.
John icon_smile.gif

may i suggest before you do this,to check the wires in the rubber gaitor in the hatch 1st for any broken/fraid wires.then do as john has said icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
Burnerman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote

The tailgate trim needs great care when you remove it - steel clips onto plastic housings don't go together well in cold weather.
Believe it or not, I went to Tesco's and bought a couple of plastic spatulas and some plastic tapered door wedges. Careful levering pops the trim off but you may need the odd plastic popper as they always break.
Obviously if there are any visible screws, take them out first.
John icon_smile.gif
 Alert Moderators
su966

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote

My this problem was solved by the garage in May during MOT and annual servicing. I watched what he was doing. Took out two screw and then pulled. The plastic came out. He then told me to try the wiper. There are two functions here:
1. Moving of the wiper
2. Spray
None was working. He took out the tube that sprays by removing the clip. Told me to try the spray only. Spray was not coming out, He opened the bonnet. This little pipe goes from underneath the bonnet. Looks a like a pump. He took it out from the pump and refit it with clip. The spray started working. So, the problem was the connection of the pipe from the pump. Problem 1 solved.

Now he told me to try the wiper. Did not work. He opened the driver side fuse box. Opened the driver side door. Took the plastic cover. There was the fuse panel. He looked at the diagram and took out a fuse. Fuse was faulty. Replaced the fuse and the wiper started working. Problem 2 solved.

I could not have done this myself. Many fuses there. Thanks to the garage. Only charged extra 10 for this job.

I thought I should write down how the problem was solved. Hope this will help someone.
The following user says thank you to su966 for this useful post:
absandross (8 Feb 2013)
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Car Repairs / Maintenance All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: