very long cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to run a cable from my house to a summer house in the garden which requires a 45 amp supply the distance is 230 m what section of cable should I use

Sponsored Links
Is this a wind-up? Or a sick college question?

Have you got the regs? Do you know how to calculate Voltage Drop?

230m?

Dream on......

You can't get that size of XPLE SWA from the sheds.....

Got to be nearing 50 or 70 mm I reckon!!!

Job for a real sparky I think ;)

Lec

I reckoned on the latter for 6-7v drop, but have not included any other possible factors in that calc.

Sponsored Links
the simple answer is f*cking big ;)

unfortunately tlcs cable calculator stops at 16mm :evil:

working from that and a bit of guestimation i'm pretty sure you need at least 50mm.

thats the maximum specified allowed size for most CU style isolators and you would probablly need to use a big adaptable as a spreader box.

also if you use 2 core you'll have the issue of a relatively high impedance earth and if you use 3 core you will have the aditional problem of terminating the earth (cu earth bars are NOT designed for 50mm cable)

all in all a tricky job even for a pro and certainly not something i would advise doing to any normal diyer.

70mm will drop 7.36 volts. Leaves a little for short final circuits.
95mm will drop 5.83 volts.

Using Ze of worst case 0.8, and 3 core 70mm, Zs will be 0.936 (excluding parallel armour). This is within the max of 1 ohm given by the calc for 5 sec disconnection (not sure if this 75, 80 or 100% corrected, and no regs to check to hand). I used a 1361 45A HRC. My calculator only goes as high as 50mm for the earth, but calcs based on that will be fine for 70mm.

Disconnection will ocur in 4.44secs.

Going up in size to 95 can only be better.

i am wondering if mr handcock will arrive soon remember the old joke

toeknee handcock :LOL: :LOL: ;)

toeknee said:
I want to run a cable from my house to a summer house in the garden which requires a 45 amp supply the distance is 230 m what section of cable should I use
either you have a very big garden... or you plan on running the cable round the sides a few times....

Or it is in another location :rolleyes: - seen a few cables traverse over or under public hiways :oops:

out of interest what are the legal rules for doing that?

Dunno - I looked at a fault on some sign lights in a hedge.....cable UNDER the hiway! They snuck it in when the REC installed a larger cable for a service upgrade to the restaurant. (a different company digs the road and installs a duct, land either side of road was the restaurants, and they had to make good the treches their sides.....lovelly open duct....

I do not think it is allowed - unsure of aerial runs, seens loads of services run to barns over hiways. Normally T+E hung on catenary, too small for the job, and falling to bits!!

Lectrician said:
Dunno - I looked at a fault on some sign lights in a hedge.....cable UNDER the hiway! They snuck it in when the REC installed a larger cable for a service upgrade to the restaurant. (a different company digs the road and installs a duct, land either side of road was the restaurants, and they had to make good the treches their sides.....lovelly open duct....

my guess is that it would only get noticed if a cable was dug through. Even then i can imagine the jointer might just fix both cables (especially if they were clearly different sizes so it was obvious which was which).

thanks for the advice especially lectrician this is a serious ask and I will take the advice offered and call in a pro

One thing Tony, if it is a domestic install, it will be notifiable. If it is a commercial install, other R & R's will apply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back