Downlights.... Have a problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I've lurked here for a while, mainly for decorating tips as I recently bought my first home, so thanks for all he tips.

My problem is I got an electrician in to install downlights in my hall, livingroom and bedroom and I have just been round to see them in for the first time, I'm not very happy. The lights are well positioned and exactly where I wanted them but he problem is there is light escaping from the outer ring of everyone of them creating a very annoying halo effect. I have popped one out and measured the hole and it seems to be the right size 65mm so wot is causing this problem. I am going to call spark in the morning to see what he says but this obviously isn't right. What could be causing this? Am I within my rights to withhold payment? Sorry, new house noon.

Thanks in advance, Ian.

Sponsored Links
If the hole is the correct size, which you say it is, then how can you withhold payment?

Double check with the instructions for the downlighters.

Also check the downlighters are sitting in the hole centrally, and aren't sitting to one side.

Well in my eyes he hasn't done a satisfactory job, in a downlight should the light not come only from the centre light and not halo from all round the sides? He lights are below floorboards and tbh why should I be checking?

Sponsored Links
Well in my eyes he hasn't done a satisfactory job, in a downlight should the light not come only from the centre light and not halo from all round the sides?

If the instructions say a 65mm hole, and he drilled a 65mm hole, who is at fault?

Well in my eyes he hasn't done a satisfactory job, in a downlight should the light not come only from the centre light and not halo from all round the sides?

If the instructions say a 65mm hole, and he drilled a 65mm hole, who is at fault?

Lol I don't know I'm not an electrician, that's why I'm asking on here, has anyone else had this problem? I will measure the hole again tomorrow to double check, is the hole size the only thing that could cause this?

You can ask him to rectify if he made a mistake. Not his fault if you picked crappy lights or have very rough ceilings or something though. Can you take a picture?
If that's just the way these lights look, you need to pay the man. Then pay him again if you want him to do more work putting different lights up instead.

You can ask him to rectify if he made a mistake. Not his fault if you picked crappy lights or have very rough ceilings or something though. Can you take a picture?

He picked the lights we just selected the finish we wanted. Would sanding the surface round the hole help at all? I just think it's strange that 15 fittings all have the same problem is the any sort of seal that can be used? I am not saying that the spark has made a mistake but this isn't normal is it, there shouldn't be light escaping should there?

I can't really say what would help without seeing it. If the surface is uneven, sanding would of course help a flat fitting to sit flat against it. Or it may be that the springs holding them in are slack for the thickness of your ceiling board or that the ceilings are crappy old lath and plaster that will never hold one of these lights well.
You can buy lights with seals intended for bathrooms, you can caulk round the edges, you can bend the springs so they grip tighter. Range of things really, depending on the nature of the problem.

I can't really say what would help without seeing it. If the surface is uneven, sanding would of course help a flat fitting to sit flat against it. Or it may be that the springs holding them in are slack for the thickness of your ceiling board or that the ceilings are crappy old lath and plaster that will never hold one of these lights well.
You can buy lights with seals intended for bathrooms, you can caulk round the edges, you can bend the springs so they grip tighter. Range of things really, depending on the nature of the problem.

Thanks and I know what u mean I will take some pics tomorrow and post up. Obviously when I see the spark he will tell me what he thinks there are some tilt downlights already in some areas of the house that don't show this problem but I know they arent the same beast. Just really disappointed as this is our first home.

I'd recommend you make no mention of withholding payment at this stage. If he's a good tradesman he'll want to leave a happy customer, and staying on good terms is the best way to getting any real problems rectified. There's likely to be an easy solution.

I'd recommend you make no mention of withholding payment at this stage. If he's a good tradesman he'll want to leave a happy customer, and staying on good terms is the best way to getting any real problems rectified. There's likely to be an easy solution.

No I have no intention of flying off the handle but I want and think I should be happy with the outcome of a paid job, I will keep you posted, thanks again.

If you have artex or rough ceilings this is the problem, not the sparkys fault.

He ceiling isnt artex or to my eye seem to be rough they certainly aren't in a bad state. Would his problem occur even if the holes were a few mm too big?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back