Railway sleepers as Garden steps

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to make a terrace at the back of the garden, full width, replacing a grassy slope with some steps.

Have bought some new railway sleepers and should only need 3 steps to take in the slope.

However need advice as to footing for the bottom sleeper? Should I I have a hardcore base below the bottom sleeper, or a concrete footing?

Concern is that the bottom sleeper may slip out over time?!

Sponsored Links
Another option would be to get two lengths of steel bar around 20mm or so and maybe a couple or three feet long and drill an 18mm hole slightly angled into the center of the sleeper at each end and then literally nail the sleeper to the floor. Then you could leave the bar just below the surface of the sleeper or sink it an inch and fill the hole.

My suggestion is similar to Daz's, but would not require having to drill the sleeper. Hammer the metal rods into the ground in front of the sleeper, about 6" in from each end. This will prevent the movement. You could repeat this for each sleeper you install.

There are steps made from old sleepers where I work - probably the Creosote/oil in them - but they get very slippery when wet and we put chicken wire on them for grip.

Might not be a problem with new sleepers ?

Sponsored Links
sleeper steps = Broken neck

I work with sleepers a bit and think they have many great landscaping uses so i'm not down on them for the sake of it. I have one customer in particular whose garden is treacherous when wet because there are so many.

If your dead keen on the look most paving manufacturers now do sleeper effect flags which are long and thin to look like sleepers and to be honest i think they are pretty good. The bradstone one in particular.

http://simplypaving.com/view/area/Catalog/section/Details/for/Price/ref/2441

Hi Str,

I stumbled across your post and just wondered how you got on and what you did? I'm looking to do something very similar to what you have written and I'm struggling with how to approach it.

Hope you got on better than I'm doing with it right now!
Russ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back