Downlights, with Ceiling removed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen ceiling is down (I am getting a new one fitted) the other was mis-shapen due to water damage over the years.

With clear access to the joists etc, would this make an electricians job of fitting downlights any easier, before the ceiling goes back up?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes. Yes. Yes.

He will be able to run the cables, plan where the lights will go without a joist being in the way. He will then draw a plan of where the lights will go. The wires will be boarded over - don't pull them through.

When the ceiling is up he will mark out the positions, drill the holes, pull the cables out, and fit the lights.

The important bit is not to lose the plan.

great,

am I best going low voltage or mains?

there will be approx 6 lights I reckon

My preference is mains (240V) - then you only have the lamp go, no transformer to die on you. Also will be easier to upgrade to LED lamps when the price comes down enough (usable GU10 replacements now around £12, still a lot for a light bulb I reckon)

PJ

Sponsored Links
Downlighters aren't the best source of lighting.

ELV is brighter, but more liable to go wrong. The transformers tend to pack up. Osram 'mice' transformers are good.

Thanks lads,

I'm really unsure one the best type of lighting for my new kitchen, I assumed downlighters were the way to go.

The previous light was a flurescent (sp?) strip light and didnt give off a great light despite being 5ft long.

The kitchen is quite small (3m wide x 4m Long)

I have been installing the ATOM lights from TLC, 13W each and give a good even spread of light.

As per john's post, look for PL downlights with High Frequency control gear. Much better spread of light, less fittings required and cost a lot less to run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back