DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Jigsaw Tile Blades - Useless On Porcelain Tiles?

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
RealPolitik

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote

I've bought some jigsaw tile blades from Wickes (I know ... ) as I have a few door frames with odd skirting to tile around and it's very difficult to be precise enough with the wet cutter.

I'm trying to cut porcelain floor tiles and it's impossible - after thirty seconds the blade has barely made an impression.

Am I expecting too much from them - are they only any use on thinner wall tiles?
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
sherlockholmes

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote

"For use on ceramic tiles, roof tiles, slate, fibreglass and plastic"

From the website, no mention of porcelain tiles and since you've already found they don't work that seems fairly conclusive on it's own.

I looked into this question recently in prep for some diy tiling, i'll share the fruits of my labours with you - it can only really be done by something with a diamond blade and a helluva lot of torque, like a mini angle grinder or the wet saw. With the wet saw you can cut the bulk out as a triangle then nibble with straight cuts and finish with a tile nibbler. With the angle grinder you can actually cut a curve, though it's a skill that looks to require a little practice and they aren't the safest of tools if you aren't used to them. There are loads of videos up on youtube of folks angle grinding porcelain tiles if you want to give it a go. That's the method I plan on trying when I get round to it.

If you have a lot of curves that will be on display and want a very neat finish though, you may want to consider getting an experienced tiler to do it. They're generally fine if you get recommendations/references, have no kids or pets in the house, and keep them placated with a constant supply of very sweet tea. Some keepers recommend occasional feedings with some kind of chocolate covered biscuit too.
 Alert Moderators
1john

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote

Cut the bottom of the architrave off and slip the tile underneath. Allow the height of the tile and addy plus a millimeter or two.
 Alert Moderators
paul78

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote

go with 1johns advice icon_biggrin.gif
 Alert Moderators
RealPolitik

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I couldn't easily slip them under the architrave as there's a slight slope across the threshold.

I have a lot of fine grit stuck in my eyes but managed it after a bit of patience with the wet cutter. I've used 7 mm spacers on these bigger tiles, so a 5 mm gap around the skirtings and so on doesn't look too out of place.
 Alert Moderators
JohnD

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote

"Are you afraid of the dark?
Always wear your safety goggles!"
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Tiling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: