new light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i\\\'m trying to put a new light into a toilet which was a cupboard hence no light. got a very good diy book. but on this case could not help , i have a ceiling rose close by hopeing i would create a new loop, had failed attempts. the ceiling rose has one cable going into it live going to live, neutral going to neutral,nothing in the center terminal, can i create a new loop or do i have to go to the light switch to get a loop :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
you've got no permanent live at that light just neutral and switched live.

whats the wiring like at the light switch and are there any junction boxes around?

the light switch is a double, has got 4 lives in it, all 4 neturals are in a connector block, dont think there are juction box's the rest of the ceiling roses in the house are done as a loop as seen in the diy book, may be this light fitting is the end of the loop?

Sponsored Links
ok thats a fairly common looped at switch arrangement.

you have one cable bringing in permanent live and neutral
one cable takeing permanent live and neutral to the next item on the cuircuit
and two cables taking switched lives and neutrals to light fittings.

you need to join your new cable to the permanent live and neutral either at the switch (which will involve chasing and may well be very tight for room) or using a junction box into one of the cables carrying an unswitched live and a neutral.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back