Question about plastering...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The client is on holiday for two weeks and comes back on Monday coming. I'm completely tiling the bathroom in travertine, walls and floor. The problem I am concerned about is a couple of the walls were so badly out of plum I have replastered them out with bonding plaster up too two inches in thickness. It will not be completely cured for weeks, as the client is coming back on monday I really need to get the tiling finished asap. I am weber rapid set flexible adhesive and would like to know if anybody has tiled on green plaster after only a short time and had they had any adverse effects? Or will it be OK. Cheers in advance....

Sponsored Links
1)It is not recommended to tile directly on to any plastered surface that was not dried out.
2)It is not recommended to tile directly on to any gypsum based backing/base coat, this includes bonding.
A finishing coat should be applied to the basecoat, as you are tiling this wall the area to be tiled can be left slightly roughed up, so not polished.
This will help form a key for the tiles.

In summary you best get a crack on with the job, as you will need to prep bonding for finish, skim coat wall, then wait for that to dry, before you can tile out.

As PBD; Bonding plaster is not a suitable tile base, let alone one 50mm thick :eek: You cannot tile over before it’s full dry, a normal thickness base coat & skim (around 15mm) will take up to 4 weeks to dry out, I dread to think how long one 50mm will take. You also mention Travertine tiles; plaster skim has a weight support limit of 20kg/sqm & that includes up to 4kg/sqm for the adhesive/grout, what size/weight are the tiles? When using powder addy, you must prime gypsum plaster to avoid a reaction between cement in the addy & gypsum in the plaster. You would have been far better off fixing waterproof tile backer board to the walls & tiling onto that.

You’re making fundamental mistakes, how long have you been a plastere/tiler? I fear your tiling job may be doomed to early failure & you will have one very unhappy client. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back