Single Oven Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Zanussi single oven (built in) and a gas hob (already connected to the gas supply). The oven was supplied without a cable.

Looking at it, it is 2.15kw according to the manual. I went to town today and acquired some 1.5mm sq. heat shielded flex, wired it to the oven and terminated the other end with a regular 3-pin plug which is just plugged into a regular socket that was behind the kitchen unit.

Just wanted to check that given its only 2.15kw that the cable ratings should be fine (cable rated to 16amps, 3.8kw) and I assume it is fine with just being plugged in giving its loading (no cooker ring-main)? I've got to install it into its cavity, but didn't want to get ahead of myself without double checking first.

Thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
The oven should be supplied with manufacturers instructions, giving the relevant information on how the oven should be installed.
But if as you say, the output rating is 2.1kW, the 1.5mm heat rated flex will be safe enough for a BS1363 13A plug top, you could get away with putting a 10A fuse in the plug top, as the current rating of the cooker is 9.13A

Sounds OK to me.

Most ovens that are made to plug in come ready with a cable and 13A plug. Mybe times is tight on Planet Zanussi ;)

Edit: You'd need to look hard to find a 10A fuse in the sheds. 1.5mm cable is OK for a 13A fuse, unless the manufacturer of the oven says something different.

Sponsored Links
The rating on the inside of the door says 2.075kw actually, so I think it'd be fine, just erring on the side of caution and checking with people who know!

Thanks for the speedy replies!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back