CCTV for home. Basic or pay a bit more? Help me out...

Ok, time to revisit this, as I believe I have my "base"...

For some reason, I decided to go with a DVR card and ignored IP. The card was cheap... As such, I have sat waiting a;

PC running Windows 7
E6400 Core 2 Duo
4Gb Ram
40Gb SSD OS
2Tb Storage

with 16ch Geovision GV-800 card

I just need some cameras now!

I'm looking at the Samsung SCO-2080R for the front of the house and initially considered one at the side and rear... However, I have a long driveway an external garage and a L shaped back garden. I have therefore being toying with the idea of a Speed Dome on the rear corner of the house that would pretty much take care of the back garden, side and garage... How does motion detection work? Do I need to install sensors?

If I do go for a Speed Dome I believe I will need to buy a GV-NET/IO to make use of the Speed Dome functions from within the GV 8.4 software, is this correct?

Any further thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? Ideas?

TIA,
V

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't be my choice.
Remember, the dome can only be looking in one direction at a time.
Detectors trigger, the dome pans to alarm position. too late. Potentially, offence already commited.
Dome should be additional in your scenario - but would be a bit overkill for an average domestic.

Speed Dome is probably more expensive than 3 static cams... So not too bothered which way I go really, would just have been easier to have one on the corner. No biggy though...

Appreciate all thoughts and suggestions

Could fit GJD sensors to speed dome.
3 static cams better with a speed dome as a suppliment.

Sponsored Links
I think I'll just go with 3 maybe 4 of the Samsungs... I've pretty much got my mind set on them unless there is anything better for the money...

Please post some pics when you have it all running!

I was looking at IP cameras too but decided I was over-complicating it and installing technology for the sake of it. One of our sites has Sanyo HD cameras and the quality is just outstanding. Got me interested until I saw the pricetag.

In my mind, the best CCTV system is one that catches the perpetrator and gets legible evidence to the police in the purest form possible. I read somewhere that some police forces won’t accept evidence unless it is from a dedicated DVR.

I ended up getting some quality analogue domes and a cheap far-east DVR. If the DVR records in the frame rates and quality it says it does on all four channels at once then I’m happy. If not then I’ll sell it on swap it out for a wee Samsung. I think there's a lot to be said for keeping it simple and reliable. Low power and it can all be run from a battery backed up 12v supply.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The Manual suggests DC 12v/4a or AC 24v/2a.

To each I assume?

easy really

I'm happy to go with the Dantech, but, that one only appears to do 4 cameras... I'd like one with a bit of scope.

I basically want a wall mounted PSU that prevents me from needing individual power bricks & a stupid 8 way extension.

I'm all ears. Cheaper the better of course, but I'm not going to scrimp when it comes to a power supply.

The Manual suggests DC 12v/4a or AC 24v/2a.

To each I assume?

easy really

To each yes.

Easy? How? Any links to products? Searching google tends to result in individual adapters and I'd prefer one wall mounted unit.

1,http://www.cctv-centre.co.uk/cctv/cctvcameraaccessories.htm
2,http://www.elmdene.co.uk/power-supplies
3,http://www.dantech.uk.com/

Take your pick, thats a low end but reasonable shop and then top range suppliers.

But you have already been told dantech on the other channel have you not.

Wasting peoples time another hobby?

Wasting peoples time another hobby?

I appreciate your time (as everyone else's), but are you kidding me with that comment? People can only learn by asking questions!?

Surely there's not just "one solution" available that meets my requirements...

Thinking about things anyway, the 389/4, is suitable for 4 cameras... What happens if I add a fifth? Another PSU?

Is there not a 389/8 ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back