Loft insulation and electrical cables in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whose responsibility is it to ensure that electrical cables and transformers in the loft do not overheat or catch fire when the loft insulation is laid down? I'm having the full whack of loft insulation installed after the electrics have been done.

Is it the responsibility of the electrical contractor to ensure safety or is it the loft insulation people who need to avoid covering the elecrics?

Sponsored Links
It's your responsibility as householder to inform all concerned of what's going on. If you tell the electrical contractor that loads of insulation is coming after him, he has the chance to take that into account - if you don't tell, you can't blame him if he doesn't! As the average loft packer is unlikely to know the rules on electrical wiring you shouldn't expect them to do anything about it. And with the ebxt will in the world, they could only lift the wires over their insulation if there's enough length of wire ....

PJ

The lighting cables themselves will not normally be an issue with the insulation as they are hardly ever carrying anywhere near full current.
It is, as you say, transformers and/or fittings that need the air circulation.

My vote is that it is the electrician's responsibility once he has been told.

I'd inform the electrician that 250mm of loft insulation will be laid. He then has to design and fit what is safe. Low-voltage (230V) lighting cable is usually fine. He might want to beef up the extra low voltage cable and screw the transformer(s) to the rafters for instance. An electrician should also be able to advise you if any power cables need upgrading.

He should also supply the light fittings to be vapour-proof (or non-ventilated???) and safe under insulation. I have just taken down a bathroom ceiling where they used cheap halogen spotlights over a shower and the roof timbers are rotting.

Sponsored Links
I emailed the electrician with regards to my plans for re-insulating the loft with 250mm of loft insulation after the electrical work is completed and he stated in his reply:

"I would like to confirm that all electrical installation in loft area will be prepared for insulation as required by BS7671 standards.

We will use additional metal covers for downlighters in the bathroom area, also all installation will be fixed."

I guess he is now aware and has taken responsibility for electrical safety.

Sounds like he is doing his job. :)

I read only today that with modern loft insulation, you have to rate cables above the insulation for 50°C in the loft rather than 30°C. It's a minefield if you don't know what you are doing! I suppose the same also applies to transformers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back