Multi Detector?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I there i am thinking of purchasing a new multi detector as anybody used one which they would recommend to me?.

I would use it mainly for live wires.

(I have tried the cheaper ones but they seem to give false readings)

Sponsored Links
Most of them are pants, unless you want to spend a bit of money on something like a fluke 2042? But only any good for cable detection, wont do stud work.

I've got that one. Bit hit n miss TBH,

Last time I used it, it showed an entire wall as being unsuitable for drilling into, bog standard plasterboard on timber studs. so could just be over sensitive or affected by some other conditions. Jury's still out for me.

...but if you drill into 'the unknown' a lot it might just save you an expensive mistake.

Sponsored Links
okay is there any ones you would recomend to me for a reasonal price ?? :D :D

okay is there any ones you would recomend to me for a reasonal price ?? :D :D
As previously mentioned most of them are totally useless in detecting, studs, pipes and cables.
I would go as far as saying if you are buying cheap, they are not only cheap but carp!
I have never come across a good one, that was not a lot of money.

If its any help just been reading an article on this Bosch GMS 120,
It does look the biz but that need verifying by the sounds of things

Stud detection is virtually useless. Metal detection can work but you can only use it to find out where the pipes are when you know that there are some. You can never rely on them saying there are no pipes.
Voltage detection can work very well. I have one of these http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK6090.html which is good as you can adjust the sensitivity easily. The only place I have found that it doesnt work is in my bathroom and I suspect the switch is behind some metal film coated plasterboard or something as the detector goes off whenever it gets close to the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back