Connect cast iron soil pipe to clay drain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

We have a cast iron soil pipe which connects into a clay drain pipe at ground level, at somepoint in the past it looks as though the collar of the clay pipe has broken and instead of fixing it properly the former owners have just cemented around the join.

The cement has cracked recently and in when the toilet is flushed water is seeping through it. I have removed the cement on one side and both the cast iron pipe and the clay pipe seem in good condition except for the collar. Is there and connector I can get to join these two pipes? I have seen the following on wickes http://www.wickes.co.uk/pvcu-soil-to-clay-drain-connector/invt/432046/ which looks like it could do the job but the gap between the two pipes is not big enough to maneuver any connector into place.

Does anyone have any advice on how they might approach this problem?

Sponsored Links
The first problem is a bit of excavation around the clay pipe, so you can get at everything properly.

Then tidying up the end of the clay by removing the rest of the collar, or cutting through the pipe a bit lower down. An angle grinder with a cutting disc can make short work of cuting the clay, but it's a tool that's even better at slicing through flesh and bone if not handled properly.
It's also not a good time to find out the fixings for the cast iron pipe have corroded, so the whole weight of the soil stack is being supported by the clay pipe. :eek:

If all goes well, that should leave you a big enough gap to get connectors over the existing pipes, and insert a short length of pipe to connect everything together again.

Many prefer this type of coupling:-
19914_P

They are available in a range of sizes to suit different types of pipes.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back