Shower extractor fan on electric shower circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to add an extractor fan over the shower and would like the fan to be powered whilst the shower is on, with a timer to keep in running for a while afterwards.

Is it OK to use the feed than runs the electric shower providing I fit a fsu? If I take the feed from the switch than I have the permanent live plus switched live that I need.

If not is it possible to take a trigger voltage from this point to feed a relay box and take the supply from some where else?

I'm really trying to avoid having to fit another pull switch.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would use the lighting circuit for the supply, fit a pullcord and cut the string and tie it to the shower pull. That way one pullcord would operate both.

A more professional approach if you really do not want the extra pullcord would be to fit a contactor/relay. Remove the shower switch and connect up to one pole of the relay, run a lighting cable to another pole in the relay and connect up the to the relay coil via the pullcord. Bobs your uncle.

if you could fit, 2 6 or 10mm cables into a FCU terminal then yes you can do as you ask, but since what you suggest is impossible then the answer has to be no.

May i uggest you do as most people do, fit a timer fan fed from the lights, does everything you want and is easier

Best way - Fit a flow switch to the pipework feeding the shower - shower turns on, fires the fan. Shower turns off, fan stops after run-on. Use an FCU for this circuit, or directly off the lighting circuit.

Done this way in many hotels etc before humidistats become cost-effective.

Sponsored Links
Why not just fit a cheaper fan with a humidistat? They can be pretty cheap from the wholesalers.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back