UPVC window dripping through hook holes??!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - newbie here after some advice!

Had new upvc windows installed in new loft conversion end of December 2010, from company called Quickslide.

On Monday this week one of the small units started leaking through what looked like the back of the hook at the bottom of the window. We took the hook off and nothing seemed to be coming from the holes but noticed it was wet at the join line just above to the right so maybe it's coming from there and finding its way down the back of the hook.

It's totally bizarre as it hasn't rained since last Friday and has been baking hot here in sunny Manchester. (And by the time we noticed the leak it has ruined the freshly painted sill...)

I put a towel underneath to catch the drips and have been monitoring closely. It stopped dripping late Monday evening and didn't drip on Tuesday. No drips today but then started again this evening. Towel pretty damp.

We checked the unit and can't see any obvious entry points for rain to get in (even though there hasn't been any!), it's not wet on the plastic part at the bottom where the window closes and even more weird is that the unit is the inside part that slots up to the top outer unit so the top isn't exposed. No wetness anywhere around the edges or down the insides of the frame.

We just can't work it out - why would it suddenly start leaking, then stop for a day, then start again when over those 3 days there's been no rain?! It's as if there's a pool of water inside the unit and it's being pushed out at strange intervals!

I have contacted Quickslide who are arranging an engineer to come out. I did ask if they're interested in offering me some goodwill money to get the freshly decorated sill repaired but you can imagine their answer - we only guarantee the product or where would it end? We'd have to pay for your sill to come out, your wall replastered and your room redecorated because our product leaked....yep, thanks.

Have attached pics in case it helps!

Thanks in advance for any ideas - I'm totally stumped!

Sponsored Links
Water is finding its way into the pvc chambers somehow, if you slide the sash right up and look underneath you should see two slots, one at each end, these are drainage holes and do just that, if you have water coming out of other holes then its just possible that they forgot to drill them during manufacturing which does happen sometimes.

If poss get the company back, they'll drill some slots and let the water out or they can have a beeter look than us through photos, which did help by the way.

Its not a great problem

Many thanks - will have a check for drainage holes!

It's a strange one as the unit is self contained (so nothing going into it that could be delivering water) and the whole scenario of it not raining for days and the leaks then happening/stopping/happening despite no rain. Plus we've had some really heavy rain since the windows were installed and they've never leaked before (my other half has been up there every day for weeks decorating). The glass is clear but maybe there's some strange condensation thing happening in a bit we can't see!

Have booked engineer so hopefully he'll solve problem!

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Any decent company will carry Public Liability Insurance to cover them against damage to person and or property sounds like they are blagging you on this one.
AL

Many thanks - Crank39 you were spot on! Engineer finally came today and said large windows have the drainage holes done at manufacturer as standard but smaller windows are then done at the factory and this window had not been drilled.

He drilled out the holes and the problem is sorted - phew!

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back