Wire Garage - sockets - light & external lights help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a new house and as per usual the builders haven't bothered putting in any sockets. What I am after for the garage is a double socket to run tools off, a switched garage internal light and an external light.

My living room wall and garage wall are joined and there is a socket on the wall which is the logical place to take power from. My original plan was to drill through and spur off this to a junction box and then run 3 cables from this.

I've been advised that this is not the best way to proceed so the logical thing is to extend my ring main into the garage giving me a socket in there which will be protected by the main RCD.

From there I'm not exactly sure how I would safely and within regulations add in wiring for the internal and external lights? Are these simply then spured off the socket or do I need to do something cleverer?

Can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
Extending the ring would be best, if you've got access to replace one of the existing cables at the existing socket.

Then in the garage just add switched FCUs on the ring for the lights.

You can read all about notifiability here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p. Strictly speaking the outside light would be notifiable, but the Approved Document says not as long as none of the cable for it runs externally, so doing what that says would be no risk.

Thanks for your advice.

My only option was to detach one side of the ring main cable from the socket attach a new length of T&E and push this through into the garage and then try and join the return wire with the ring main via a block connector. I'm not sure this is possible due to the tight constraints behind the socket or legal?

I very much doubt that I'd have enough of the existing cable or it would be flexible enough to push through to the garage. I don't really fancy tearing the wall down either.

Maybe an extension lead is the easier option :D

then try and join the return wire with the ring main via a block connector. I'm not sure this is possible due to the tight constraints behind the socket or legal?
It's OK if there's space in the box for a connector block.

If not you could crimp a new length on. Use a crimper like this:

DVDHCR15.JPG

not one of these:

mediaa543490cl2.jpg

Sponsored Links
You could consider installing a deeper back box behind the lounge socket to give a bit more 'elbow room' for the wiring. Of course, that depends on the wall construction - changing it may end up as more trouble than it's worth.

I've got a new house and as per usual the builders haven't bothered putting in any sockets. What I am after for the garage is a double socket to run tools off, a switched garage internal light and an external light.

How on earth did the builders architect get the plans past Building Control if there are insufficient sockets in the property and the garage has no means of illumination?

These are the same builders who installed a dishwasher and washing machine with no electricity or plumbing. Incompetent springs to mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back