Guaranteed or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just a quick query before I ring the Double Glazing company.

The gearing on my kitchen window has failed meaning that the locking point on one side fails to disengage leaving the window un-openable. I had the same problem with the bathroom window but that was repaired free under guarantee.

The window guarantee is for 10 years but the ironmongery only 2 years (windows are now 6 years old, first repair was within 2 years), so I'm just wondering if the gearing is classed as ironmongery or is it just the handles hinges and lock cylinders?

Don't want to go paying for things that I don't need to in the current climate! :confused:

Any advice greatly appreciated. :D

Sponsored Links
Would think it would be classed as ironmongery but insurers the people to ask.
Probably just a worn cam or the handle spindle worn, easy to replace yourself for a few pounds.

Probably just a worn cam or the handle spindle worn, easy to replace yourself for a few pounds.

That's what I was thinking, but if guaranteed it's cheaper still! ;)

Handle spindle is fine - I've taken it off to look. My problem is that I can't open the window to work on it :mad: and I'm too chicken to take the plastic beading off in case I break glass! :oops:

Ironmongery is the surface mounted handles, keeps, restrictors etc.

This is a locking mechanism, not ironmongery. But whether this falls into the definition of your "window" guarantee, is another matter

Sponsored Links
Ironmongery is the surface mounted handles, keeps, restrictors etc.

This is a locking mechanism, not ironmongery. But whether this falls into the definition of your "window" guarantee, is another matter

Well, as the guarantee says ironmongery is covered for 2 years and you suggest the fault isn't ironmongery, hopefully it will be covered. No doubt they will try and wriggle out of it though! :rolleyes:

Will give them a bell on Monday, and if it's going to cost a fortune, I'll probably be asking for some advice on repairing it myself. :confused:

EDIT

crank39,

Just noticed that you posted while I was typing this reply.

I think it's a locking rod that pops out at the bottom left hand side that is not working. would that be caused by the gearbox? :confused:

If it has shoot bolts then i'm 99.9% certain it'll be this type of gearbox, where the toothed rods come out of the gearbox is where they normally snap, these are connected to the top and bottom shoot bolts hence why the top has disengaged and the bottom is still locked. This is quite a common failure and is caused when the fitters don't set up the mushroom cams leaving your handle too stiff to operate, this puts un due pressure on the gearbox and eventually they snap, all this is assuming you have this style of gearbox though, my hunch is you have, open another window and take a look at the centre of the mech, it should say 'MILA' on it.

Cheers, will look in the morning it's P'ing down at mo with thunder and lightning too. Not going outside in that!! :cry: :LOL:

Assuming it is the gearbox, how do I open it to work on it? On the previous repair the fitter needed to remove the glazed unit - is that necessary?

Yep remove the glass, just 4 beads, this will give you plenty of movement and a bit of bend in the profile, then with a plastic glazing paddle wedge or push the top of the sash outwards at the same time as pushing up on the sash, this will lift the shootbolt out of the bottom keep, if you have a thin scraper you can also slide it in the side and manipulate the mushroom cams up, again this will disengage the shootbolt as this piece is still in one piece, its just broke away from the gearbox

Thanks.

Will wait to see if it's covered before attempting anything but sounds pretty straight forward. I just fear breaking the glass when removing the beads - they're pretty tight (like me!! :LOL: ).

Appreciate you taking the time to advise. :D

This is probably a better picture of the set up you probably have, when you turn the handle the 2 toothed bits move outwards in like a rack and pinion set up, its more than likely one of these has snapped. If you click onto the link within the description it'll show you the shootbolt extensions and the corresponding teeth that slide over the teeth on the gearbox, you won't need these as you'll use your exsisting but its good to know how it all comes together, you cut these shootbolt extension down to size hence it has teeth all the way along, depends on the height of individual sashes.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...59&bih=566&tbm=isch&ei=i-zETeDgJcnA8QPSkvH7BA

No problem, out wi Mrs shopping, glad of a break really instead of pounding the streets lol!

Posted from phone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back