what to use seal a hot water & cold water pipe line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what do i use to permanatly seal a hot & cold water line in my 1st floor bath room which i moved downstair.
i am gonna turn the room back to single room. i moved the bathtub, sink downstair.now i need to seal the water line connection. i am thinking to cut the pipe right under the floor board and seal it there.

so what can i use to seal it , comression or end solder ring.

which will make permanent seal? i am worried about if it start to leak later on . i would not know if it start to leak as it will under the floor board.

please advice..

Sponsored Links
Yorkshire YP61 after you have removed all the redundant pipework back to the nearest branch.

A Yorkshire YP61 is a cap, so yes, capping off.

Ask your merchant for a solder ring end cap. It will be a generic brand and much cheaper. Few local merchants stock genuine Yorkshire nowadays anyway.

Sponsored Links
yes it is for capping off.

thanks guys for yours input.

local screwfix sell yorkshire cap. does it make it big diffrence which to use generic or yorkshire.. big diffrence in price too.

....Make sure to keep the "dead leg" as short as possible.

It may be tidier to eliminate the dead leg completely by cutting the tee out, and replacing it with a piece of straight pipe. Slip couplings may be useful if you choose to do that.

It may be tidier to eliminate the dead leg completely by cutting the tee out, and replacing it with a piece of straight pipe. Slip couplings may be useful if you choose to do that.

A 'dead leg' is a blanked off pipe that no longer goes anywhere.

The longer the dead leg, the greater the chance it will will end up full of stagnant water, trapped air, or a mixture of both.

Trapped air can cause water hammer in the plumbing.

Stagnant water can become a breeding ground for bacteria.

thanks guys for your advice
i sealed the piped under the floorboard but i have about 2 and half meter of dead leg.

if i want to cut the pipe at the branch or nearest tee it will be under the boiler.
boiler is on top of my kitchen sink so to get acess to the tee i have move the whole sink as well as the worktop , big hustle.

is 2 and half meter dead leg too long to leave it there?

i have attached a picture of the sealed pipe. as you can see pipe went down the corner into the kitchen below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back