Easiest Way To Replace Siphon Diaphragm On Ancient Cistern?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shop has a very old high-level cistern, made of rubber I think. The supply and flush pipes are lead.

The diaphragm is split, as the chain takes a lot of pulling to flush. Most siphons need to be completely removed to replace the diphragm, but I don't really want to disturb the lead flush pipe, as it has many layers of paint, and hasn't been disturbed for decades. I forsee many more problems.

I notice that the plastic (i think) siphon fitted has 3 screws near the base inside the cistern. If I remove these screws, can I split the siphon and not need to disturb the joint under the cistern?

Sponsored Links
My shop has a very old high-level cistern, made of rubber I think. . Most siphons need to be completely removed to replace the diphragm, but I don't really want to disturb the lead flush pipe,
Try the screws but don`t hold your breath :cry: . you might find though - that the syphon plunger will come out without removing it all - even undoing the flush pipe isn`t really a problem - the paint will just flake off the lead . nothing else

Sorted. Removed the 3 screws, and the top comes off the siphon. Turns out it's a Dauntless siphon for a wellbottom (rubber) cistern.

New diaphragms are available online, they're the circular ones, with a circular hole in them that fits over the siphon tube in the cistern.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thomas Dudley Dauntless Rubber Well and Rubber Line (now superseded by the Tri-Well) cisterns usually had D shaped syphons and so needed a D shaped washer, not circular.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back