Tiling pn plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have bought some tiles which are porcelin 14.8x60. They weigh 22kg m2. I am worried that I may not be able to use them on the plaster in my bathroom which is 2 week old mulitfinish. Have I got a problem or with the right prep can they be ok?
Many Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi Gamp

A plastered wall is only able to hold 20kg per m2, and you need to allow about 4kg per m2 for grout, adhesive et al. :confused:

Plasterboard, before its plastered, can hold up to 32kg per m2, while some backerboards can hold up to 40kg per m2.

For that sort of tile, you're going to want a good quality cement based adhesive, designed to be used with Porcelain.

K

Why on earth did you post info which I’d already asked you for on your original thread on this new one? :eek: At an all in weight of 26 kg/sqm over plaster skim, yes I believe you have a problem & there is no preparation that will "make it better"; you cannot increase the bond strength of the weakest part of the substrate (in this case the plaster skim @ 20kg/sqm) by pasting something over it; your call if you want to chance it.

Thanks a bunch for making me look stupid! :rolleyes:

Certainly wasn't my intention to make you look stupid which is pretty obvious, however I can understand how it did so I apologize!
Reason why I posted a new thread is that no one had replied, I've got my Mrs breathing down my neck to get a shower and basin back in our house so I was hoping my new thread would get answered so I could get on with the work.... which it did.
I realise people may take a while to reply so i'm really grateful for the advice when it lands, I understand now that posting two threads on one topic is confusing and will take this into account for the future.
If you can continue to advise me, I would really appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
rip down that plasterboard and skimm....

reboard with cement based b/board...aquapanel/hardie boards etc...

if not tell your other half to buy a pair off steelies, for when she goes for a shower...oh and a hard hat...

Certainly wasn't my intention to make you look stupid which is pretty obvious, however I can understand how it did so I apologize!
Apology accepted, thank you. ;)

Reason why I posted a new thread is that no one had replied,
Some may not believe it but we are not paid for this & mostly have “proper lives” with all the commitments that involves. Very often I’m not here over long weekends (it’s when I do most of my work) but also had the added complication of a family wedding on Sunday/Monday; I’ve still not fully recovered. :confused:

I've got my Mrs breathing down my neck to get a shower and basin back in our house so I was hoping my new thread would get answered so I could get on with the work.... which it did. I realise people may take a while to reply so i'm really grateful for the advice when it lands, I understand now that posting two threads on one topic is confusing and will take this into account for the future.
If your in doubt about anyone taking notice (which, with DIYnot is usually not the case), it’s better to “bump” the thread rather than start a new one. You may get a curt response about being impatient but at least you won’t confuse the issue, potentially embarrass or upset those that are attempting to advise you. :cry:

As regards your next step; unless you want to risk failure of those nice tiles, Tictic has got it bang on as far as what I would do, including the steelies & hard hat for Mrs; short & succinct as ever. ;)

Oh; & you really should tell Mrs to stop bullying you; either she does it herself (if she can), you do it properly under advice, take bloody hike or buy her the steelies (I like the DeWalt ones) & a hard hat. :LOL:

I've decided to just take the tiles back as I don't want to risk it. I'll get some nice safe.ceramic ones instead. Thanks for all the advice anyways guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back