gloss paint on radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
painted my daughters radiator with gloss paint (yeah i know!!!) My landlady is not pleased .now we are moving out and we need to remove the paint to get our deposit back.......
please someone tell me......
* it is in any way dangerous to gloss a radiator?
* what is the best way to remove the paint?
* will sanding it back and re-enamelling it do?

Sponsored Links
Very light sand only
don't use undercoat
Use non drip gloss, not the "one coat" rubbish which will run horribly
You'll probably need 2 coats.

No its not dangerous, just not a very good idea, gloss paint will often soften if used on a radiator and hence will damage easily.

You can use most off the shelf paint strippers, nitromors is uite good, but a lillte messy, alternatively, you could use a hot air gun and scrape off the gloss, then sand with a fine wet and dry paper.

Use a proper radiator paint, either spray on, if you confident you will get a nice result or brush on. Take note of the instructions as some require the heating to be put on to cure the paint. Not ideal in the current weather.

Sponsored Links
Did you paint it Blue,Doris? :p . If it`s a small one and you know a diy man it might be cheap enough to just fit a new rad. Irony is that they used to come in primer only and HAD to be painted. Anywhere in E. Sussex?

I agree with the suggestion "light sanding only", then you will leave the primer untouched. This is usually a very good primer. Then paint as suggested with radiator paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back