Decking Joist advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning on building some raised decking approx 4.2m x 4.2m. It will be fixed to the house below the damp course approx 30cm above the patio and the far end will be fixed to posts concreted into the ground approx 40-50cm above ground as the garden tapers down hill slightly. My question is what size joists should i use and approx how far apart should they be spaced. The joists come in 4.8 m lengths in sizes 7x2, 6x2, 5x2 and 4x2.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

Sponsored Links
just make sure at the highest point off the natural ground level you are no more than 295mm to comply with the 300mm rule
in other words if your patio is laid onto the grass then you measure from under the slabs

thanks for your reply.

its basically gonna be straight parallel deckboards probably running parallel to the house, no fancy business.

big-all, so 300mm is the max allowed height of raised decking?

Sponsored Links
ah, a quick google answered that 300mm question, thank you so much big-all i wasnt aware of that rule.

providing the decking is below 300mm at the highest point it can be what ever height the natural contours take it
in other words it can be level with the highest point

you must also keep the decking/garden buildings and extensions below 50% off the garden area when built or after 1948 if later
interactive house is a brilliant help :D
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back