Gorilla glue....... how to remove it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Built a very nice up and over garage door 8ft wide out of Western red cedar over the last few days and I'm really happy with it. Just got the accompanying fence to do then I'll post some pics.

Built the door frame out of 75 x 75 uprights and the rest out of 75 x 50 framing all half lapped joints screwed and glued using gorilla glue. Magic stuff isn't it?

Except I ran out of latex gloves halfway through and got some of the glue on my hands. How the fffflip do I get it off?

Just spent half an hour in the bath with a pumice stone and my hands are still covered in black marks and really sore now too

Got a presentation to do tomorrow and it doesn't look good. SWMBO suggested I wash my hands in bleach but I don't fancy that

Anyone any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Acetone usually removes glue so go and pinch some nail varnish remover to go with that pumice stone! ;)
Expect cold fingers though and apply a bit of skin cream after rinsing it off.

I've found expanding foam gun cleaner takes it off while it's still wet.

Once its cured on your hands, you can usually pick it all off with in a week or so.

pumice and nail varnish remover have been tried by me many times, it get alot off, the rest can only be removed by time im affraid, why not get a couple of sequined gloves and do your presentation with a Michael Jackson accent?

Sponsored Links
Well it's slowly disappearing but the SWMBO still won't let me touch her with my "dirty" hands!! Result there then.

Ended up nicking a pair of blue latex gloves and doing my presentation wearing them. Made a joke about the glue and how I nearly had to turn up stuck to a garage door and it got a bit of a laugh.

So my Dragon's Den moment is going to be here's a solution to getting rid of Gorilla Glue.

i know it may sound daft but lighter petrol will probably do it. failing that margerine might, i used to use that to take bitchumen off.

e45 or moisturizer before you glue making sure you remove the access
then pick off any glue when dry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back