Screw and batten thickness... will my shelves fall down?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - would appreciate any comments on my plans for my sitting room alcove book shelves...

The alcove is 100cm wide. Walls are plastered brick.

I am going to use 18mm MDF for the tops, fixed on to battens on the side walls and along the rear wall. 6mm MDF underneath and front to create a "box look".

Now, the wood I have for the wall battens is 18 x 28mm. The screws and plugs to attach these to the wall are all-in-one 6x60mm hammer fixings.

In the past I've used 2x1 for shelf supports, but with these shelves, I would like to create a sleeker profile hence the use of 18x28. Is it suitable? Are the screws long enough?

For many years I have lived in perpetual fear of my handiwork collapsing - advice from the experts on this one would help me sleep better!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Personally, I think they are a just a little short. I always like to have at least 50mm/2" of a fixing in the wall.
Also, with such narrow battens, there is a risk of splitting them with hammer fixings. I would use at least 65mm/2½" (preferably 75mm) No.8 countersunk screws through pre-drilled holes in the battens with brown wall plugs.

:)

Thanks for that.

If i use standard rawl plugs and the longer screws as you suggest, could i still get awau with using the 18x28 battens?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back