standard sized doorway in load-bearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to move the doorway into our kitchen to allow us to make better use of space for kitchen units etc.

The doorway will be 'standard' sized in a load-bearing wall. I am only in the planning stage at the moment and need to move a radiator along the wall first (as it currently sits where the new doorway will be) as well as wrap up a few other jobs elsewhere in the house, so any advice would be much appreciated.

I intend to use some wall supports, such as these, http://www.hss.com/index.php?g=50049 to hold things up whilst i knock out the necessary brickwork for a boxed lintel, before opening up the doorway beneath.

Questions:
Are the wall supports adequate?
Is a boxed lintel appropriate?
For a standard width doorway, how large of a lintel do i need to be looking at?
For that matter, how large of an opening do i need to be making beneath the lintel?
How do you go about making good the floor in the new doorway?
Do i need to advise the local Building Control? If so, do they actually need to inspect or do i just submit plans/info etc?

I am a competent DIY-er, but have not undertaken anything as 'structural' as this before. Given that it is only a small opening (rather than removing a whole wall) I am confident that it is within my capability. Would anyone advise against and suggest otherwise?

Sorry, lots of questions. Any and all advice appreciated.

alp

Sponsored Links
Yes, but for a standard doorway you may not need to use any. It will depend how close the existing opening will be to the new one - i.e. if it is so close that both openings will be one large one before t'uther gets bricked up.

A precast concrete lintel (70mm x 100mm) will normally suffice for a standard door opening unless there are some unusual loads above the opening.

For that matter, how large of an opening do i need to be making beneath the lintel?
A p.c.c. lintel will sit within a metric course of bricks. Allow for 150mm end bearings.

How do you go about making good the floor in the new doorway?
Dig out the sub-dpc bricks, lay polythene dpm in the trough then fill with concrete or floor screed.

Do i need to advise the local Building Control? If so, do they actually need to inspect or do i just submit plans/info etc?
I personally would not bother. I would however take some photos of the lintel bearings etc before plastering over and keep them for future reference.

Thanks Noseall, much appreciated

Yes, but for a standard doorway you may not need to use any. It will depend how close the existing opening will be to the new one - i.e. if it is so close that both openings will be one large one before t'uther gets bricked up.

The new doorway will be approx 2 metres away from the existing opening (on a wall of approx 3.5 metres total length)

A precast concrete lintel (70mm x 100mm) will normally suffice for a standard door opening unless there are some unusual loads above the opening.

What would you consider unusal loads? The wall on the upstairs floor is brick also and supports ceiling/roof joists.

I personally would not bother. I would however take some photos of the lintel bearings etc before plastering over and keep them for future reference.

The idea of taking photos along the way is a good one, thanks. Are you commenting from experience in undertaking this work for yourself/others.

Can anyone else share their view on the last point?

Cheers
alp

Sponsored Links
Hmm, quoting the previous message with your comments and then adding mine didnt really work as i expected. My comments are beneath the replies to the original questions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back