miele w2203 washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
just been given this machine with fault. It starts fine but rinses light pulses occasionally, after a few mins time indicator shows --- & rinse light flashes, machine drains then stops. I checked brushes as per instructions on a previous posting but they seem fine, one being a bit more dusty than other. When I first got machine it would do spin cycle completely without problem. Now after checking brushes it only runs for 1 min on spin cycle before it shows fault & stops. Rinse light seems to flash each time drum turns. As it now seems a bit worse since checking brushes could it be a bad connection somewhere? I did make sure motor casing was clean where resistors ground on it. Help !!!!

Sponsored Links
The rinse light flashing on a Miele washer indicates a fault in the motor circuit. When a motor fault occurs the machine stops & drains. A fault in the motor circuit isn't only confined to the motor. It could be a motor fault, defective pcb, brush problem, or a wiring issue. Miele machines are extremely robust but sometimes even Miele motors & pcb's fail. A bad contact on the 10Mohm resistor in the motor endshield can cause the problem you describe, but it is very rare & this only seemed to be a problem on the W800 & W900 series anyway. How did you change the brushes? Did you remove the whole motor or just the brush assembly?

hi, thanks for reply, I left motor in place. Motor does seem to do a fast spin & wash speed ok, but wont now complete spin only cycle, it does a couple of turns either way then registers fault. thanks Glyn

Sponsored Links
3cm is plenty of brush length. Ok..so when replacing the brush assembly did you push the brushes back in their holders...screw the brush assembly in place...then release the brush spring tension by using a piece of stiff wire or similar? I know I wrote a couple of posts about this earlier but it was probably a while ago now. This is the only certain way to do it without risking damage to the brushes/commutator.

hi
yes, did it as stated in another post, pushed brushes into holder, fitted to motor then pushed brushes to release them until click heard. I looked at comm before fitting brushes & it looked good ie no scoring or raised segments. Could ground contacts on resistors give trouble? Just seem a dodgy way to make contact.
:rolleyes:

I agree, but like I said the grounding issue only ever seemed to be a problem on the W800/W900 series anyway (& a rare problem at that). The motor was modified slightly when the problem came to light. But in short yes a bad resistor contact can cause a short in the motor circuit. In the rare event of this happening the motor reversing relay or blocking diode for the PWM transistor can pop the motor fuse.
Unless you have a bad motor plug contact/broken wire someplace then I am pretty sure your pcb is faulty. The only way to be certain if it is a motor or pcb problem is to bench test the motor & apply a little load to see how it behaves. Miele parts are VERY expensive & you won't find a recon pcb in the UK. There are a couple of people in Germany who repair & supply recon boards but I'm not sure if your model is covered.

hi zipper
tried machine this morning, it did full spin cycle, a quick wash and a 95 wash without problem. Not touched any cables or anything since yesterday when it was playing up, guessing its a bad connection somewhere?

It could be as simple as that. If you had the brush assembly off it is possible that one of the 4 male connectors is slightly misaligned & not interfacing properly with the field connections. I have never liked that particular design. The motor plug interface could also be a little wonky. Run a few cycles & see what develops. Don't throw a Miele washer on the scrapheap unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks for help, I know now what to keep an eye on. Im surprised to find less than perfect design on such an expensive but I cant complain as it was on freecycle :D. Couldnt believe difference in weight to the average machine.
thanks again
Regards Glyn

hi again zipper
short term sucess :( , I put machine on 95 wash with some towels, not too many, it couldnt turn drum fully & did its usual fault. Did try taking brushes out again & made sure field contacts were fully making contact but no luck. It now wont even do spin cycle empty, so im a bit confused what to do next as it worked fine yesterday doing a quick wash fully loaded & turning drum fine. Any ideas?
Cheers Glyn

Ok...then its back to square one. The same motor has been used in Miele washers for many years, it is virtually unchanged except for a very few minor alterations. You have a motor or pcb issue (unless there is a bad contact in motor plug interface, or damaged wiring in the motor circuit). If you called Miele service they would remove the front, check the brushes, then hotwire the motor. If the motor ran ok & produced tacho output they would recommend replacing the pcb. Basically that's where you're at now. I won't advise you how to hotwire the motor because someone else may read this thread, kill themselves, then sue me from the grave...or haunt me for the rest of my life. But I would suggest you remove it & take it to a domestic appliance workshop who would be prepared to bench test it. Depends how much effort (& money) you want to spend on it. I can't see it from here so I don't know the overall condition. If it were me (& the machine is otherwise in good condition) I would probably sell the family dog to finance fixing it. Either way you can bet your boots there is a good reason why the washer was given away free in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back