Heavy leak from oil boiler, oil boys advise plz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, custard of mine as had the oil line to his burner leak.

Reckon its been goin for a while as there is staining up the walls in the cupboard where the boiler is, unsure of amount at present but he reckons its a lot, maybe plus 100 litres.

How do we go about getting rid of the smells dealing with the contamination?

Any advice appreciated.

Ta

Sponsored Links
it is an insurance job that should have been reported straight away. house insurance company will contact relevant bodies ie environment agency.

Had a boiler 4 weeks ago in conservatory that had leaked for about 6 months from the flexi hose. I would guess it was leaking about 1lt a day at the most.

Ended up having conservatory taken down, base concrete removed and about 5 cubic meters of contaminated soil.

I don't know haow much it all cost but a bet theres not much change from £20k.

When i saw it i repaired the leak but the customer had already contacted insurance company. Both them and me thought it was not that bad and putting a cherry bomb in there for a month would solve it.

company i know that deal with flood and damage. have a process that deals with spilt oil for insurance claims. they usea a chemical that absorbes the oil. bit more technical than that. but basically oil absorbed into the fabric of a building can be a nightmare. and shoulds be dealt with proffessionally.

holy smoke!

i know it can be nightmare but i'll got out this morning and take a look.

Sponsored Links
My brothers house was extended and complelty renovated and after they finished we could notice the smell of oil in the utility where the boiler was. after countless attempts by the plumber to find the leak eventually it was found inside the stud wall coming from a compression fitting not done up.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Anyway by now we recon nearly 500 litres of oil had leaked out and the whole tiles floor and about 2m deep of soil below the entire utiltiy room had to be removed before re filling with concrete. Nightmare job..

So... its likely to be a big job as snb says.. :)

We had a Customer a few years ago with a leak from the oil pipe near the boiler (middle of house) the floors had to be dug up, plaster from walls new kitchen house was un-inhabitable for 9 months!! :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back