Wicked wireless alarm setting off randomly! Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Wickes wireless alarm system with 4 pir detectors, 2 door alarms and a key fob. I have been having problems with the alarm going off now for a few months and have changed all the batteries in the Pir 's but it is still going off for no reason. It's not always the same zone that triggers either! Any help, ideas appreciated please!

Sponsored Links
Maybe the wireless signal from the sensors are, when they reach the control panel, close to the minimum signal strength that the panel can receive.

Then something affects the signal strength and the panel can no longer "hear" one of it's sensor sending the "I am still here" message so the panel assumes the sensor is either missing or has failed and in this situation the panel has to raise an alarm.

Thanks for your reply but why would it just suddenly start doing this as we have had the alarm for about 7 years and haven't moved the sensors or anything?! The battery is now out of the sensor and it's still setting the alarm off, without any battery, ow can this be possible? We have cleaned the pir's, changed batteries several times and just don't know what to do next. If it is as you have suggested how do we fix this ? Any help appreciated.

Many things can alter the signal strength, components in the sensor getting old is one reason. Parking a car close to the wall the sensor in fitted to ( car outside, sensor inside ) can create radio echos at the control panel that alter the signal enough for the panel to not recognise it.

With out the battery the sensor cannot send the " I am still here " message to the control panel. So the panel thinks the sensor is missing or defective and raises an alarm.

On a wired system the panel knows the sensor is there by way of the wires.

In a wireless system ( a good one ) the sensors have to send a message at regular set time intervals to tell the control panel they are still there. Some sensors will change the message to say they are working but their battery is getting low.

In a poor system this feature may not be there or the time between messages is very long

A sensor sends an alarm message as soon as it senses motion.

The panel expects to "hear" at least one of these " I am here" messages from all its sensors within the set time period. Even in a good system this period can be as long as a hour. So it can be an hour before the panel realises a sensor is missing or dead. Sending them more often to reduce the time it takes for the panel to know a sensor is missing will reduce battery life.

In poor system ( but with long battery life ) the period maybe a day before the control panel knows a sensor is missing. Not much use if there is an intruder at that time.

Sponsored Links
Scrap the wireless system. If you want to protect your house, use a burglar alarm, not a DIY toy.

Your neighbours will thank you.

Scrap the wireless system. If you want to protect your house, use a burglar alarm, not a DIY toy.

Your neighbours will thank you.

Awaits the Yale predators...................

If your alarm is 7 yrs old it looks like the battery INSIDE your panel has failed.
Is the control unit plugged in or battery operated?

If it plugs in via a transformer you probably need to change the internal rechargeable pack.

Havent been here for ages, nice to see the same old trolling going on :rolleyes:

I guess a system that probably cost a couple of hundred pounds and worked perfectly for 7 years and now likely needs a small adjustment is a total waste of time

Is it true that wired systems NEVER go wrong?

Oh yeah they do and you get charged how much to fix it?

Gotta laugh

and worked perfectly for 7 years and now likely needs a small adjustment is a total waste of time
How do you know it is "a small adjustment" ? It might be that a near by neighbour has installed some wireless based equipment that uses the same radio frequency and a data format that the alarm system accepts as alarm indications from one of it's sensors. In which case it is not going to be fixed by a "small adjustment"

Is it true that wired systems NEVER go wrong?
No that is not true, they do sometimes. like any electronic equipment, go wrong.

Oh yeah they do and you get charged how much to fix it?
Probably a significant sum but in return in 99% of repairs the fault is clearly identified and properly repaired.

With all wireless systems, but especially those using a general licence for the use of the radio frequency, there are many variables affecting the equipment about which the owner of the equipment can do nothing.

You may consider this trolling. But wouldn't you want to be fully informed about the shortcomings of something you were buying to protect you, your loved ones and the contents of your home ?. Salesmen sell by listing the good points of the product. Only under pressure will they mention the shortcomings and even then that is assuming they are aware of the short comings of the equipment they are selling.

How do you know it is "a small adjustment" ?

How do you know it isn't a small adjustment? Maybe the OP should try YG3's advice before making all sorts of speculations about sudden interference from neighbours
often its the simple things that go wrong isn't it

what I consider trolling is the changing batteries remark, which is a cheap and ignorant shot. How many devices use batteries that they rely on?

Cars, mobile phones both are used for critical situations perhaps we should have wired ones! :eek:

As you say wired alarms are also subject to failure perhaps the user isn't aware of that and thinks he is protected when he isn't what then same scenario isn't it?

As for shortcomings ALL systems have them wired included, very expensive to install, expensive to repair, often linked to costly management contracts,not infallible.On top of that never yet seen any verifiable proof that they stop more burglaries than wireless or even dummy boxes with flashing lights

I think the constant sarcasm whenever someone mentions a wireless system is that the installers of wired ones see ANOTHER lost sale, so they have to denigrate them to feel superior.

Installing a wireless system is pretty easy and doesn't require half your house getting stripped out and redecorated. It is CONSIDERABLY cheaper and likely for the average person more than adequate for the job

I think the constant sarcasm whenever someone mentions a wireless system is that the installers of wired ones see ANOTHER lost sale, so they have to denigrate them to feel superior.
My comments are not meant as sarcastic and neither do I have any financial interest in promoting the sale of wired alarm systems.

My opinions and concerns are based on my professional experience of designing equipment that used radio as a communication link in safety critical and, in some cases life critical, applications.

Installing a wireless system is pretty easy and doesn't require half your house getting stripped out and redecorated.
That is undeniably true and is the major selling point for wireless systems.

It is CONSIDERABLY cheaper
That is an interesting point. The sensors for a wireless system have to have the extra components for the wireless links. They should therefore be MORE expensive if they are built to the same standard of sensing function as wired sensors. Of course one saves the cost of a reel of wire but that has to be offset by battery replacement costs.

and likely for the average person more than adequate for the job
Only likely, if one wants security likely is not a word to use in the description of its suitability and relaibility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back